• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Suggestions

Jeep Hero

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I read the sticky about searching before posting, but the info is overwhelming, and my searches pulled up more threads than I could possibly wade thru.

I just joined the NAXJA Forum, but have owned several XJs. I currently am the original owner of a completely stock 2001 Cherokee 60th Anniversary Edition (black) with less than 58k miles.

It is about time to replace the original tires (Goodyear Wrangler HP P225/70R16) and factory shocks. I will get 60k on them, but they will need to be replaced before the winter weather hits here in Missouri (late November / December).

This Cherokee is my daily driver, and sees mostly pavement (50+ miles per day), but needs to be able to handle well in heavy rain, snow, and mild off-roading.

The plan right now is to maintain the optional Jeep 16x7 alloy rims that came from the factory with the 60th Ann package.

Since I am replacing tires and shocks, I would like to mildly increase the tire size - thinking maybe LT245/75R16.

So here is my request -

Would greatly appreciate any recommendations on lift kits / components, shocks, and tires (sizes, brands, and models).

Thanks.

There are a few options you could try. Is there a budget your looking to stay within? Some of the more complete kits can get a bit pricey with all the options.

Are you planning to wheel with this or just keep it as a daily driver with a bit more aggressive look? If your not looking to wheel it hard a 2" kit is plenty for 245's. If your going to flex it up then 3" will work better and keep the tires out of the flares/fenders.

I've run Old Man Emu kits with very good luck. They have excellent ride quality.

As for tires if your doing a 245/75R16 try looking for a load range C tire. They will ride better on the road since the sidewall is not as stiff.

Thanks for the input.

Plan to keep this vehicle a DD. Too nice to bash - have other Jeeps for that.

I thought that I read somewhere about swapping in factoy Grand Cherokee front coils, but I don't have any of the details.

If you looking to go that route then you need to find a set of V8 coils from the front of a Grand Cherokee. Any year should work but the 98's had the option for a 360 and may have had even heavier coils. Regardless they will ride a bit stiffer but should do what you want.

You may want to consider a small lift on the back also. I've seen many XJ's sag with stock springs in the back as they get older. Its a mix of reasons from towing/hauling to running bigger tires which changes the unsprung weight that the spring/shock have to deal with. It all adds up to wear them out.

I have a 2001 with 245/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs (load range C) on the factory 16x7 wheels. I have a 2" coil spacer in front and UpCountry leaves in the back with .75" shackles. I use Bilstein shocks and it rides great and nothing rubs.

For what you want, a pieced together "kit" is probably the best.
For front, I say: ZJ V8 Upcountry coils/2nd coil spring isolator.
For rear: OME 2" leaf packs Med-duty

really you should look at the condition of your leaf pack. with such few miles it might not be sagging all that bad. run a longer shackle and call it done. in the front, a coil spacer should be fine if you like the current ride of your vehicle. a ZJ coil will have a heavier spring rate, and itll be hard to tell until you set the jeep under its own weight how much lift it will give you (if any).

bilstein shocks are money. everyone raves about OME kits but its a price hard to swallow. id say spend your moneys on good shocks. any maybe just keep an eye out for someone selling some extended lowers for cheap to help correct your pinion angle. thats not particullarly neccesary though.

And throw away the rear sway bar. Useless and you'll get some extra flexy. Doesn't affect driveability at all. If urs has factory tow pkg., it's already gone

Pfft, don't be afraid to mess with that 60th :D

I just got done swapping an 8.8 into mine

Is yours the Silverstone Metallic or the black?

Ok, it has been awhile since I started this post.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I think that I have decided to go with Daystar's 1.75 inch lift with coil spacers and extended shackles.

I have already swapped wheels and tires. Using a set of factory TJ Gambler 15x8 inch rims that I picked up years ago off eBay. They came with Bridgestone Dueler LT215/75R15s with good tread (although tires are too narrow for an 8 inch rim). Just using those tires until I can get a lift installed. Want to run 15 inch rims because I have an almost new set of BFGoodrich AT/KO 30x9.5R15s that I plan to use.

Now for the next question:

Since it is time to replace the factory shocks anyway - looking to use the JKS Front Upper Shock Conversion kit as well as the JKS Front and Rear Bar Pin Eliminators.

Thoughts? Are they worth the money and install time?

I am considering running a set of Bilstein 5100 or 5150 series shocks.

Thanks.

Well, here's my experience. If you go with 5100's, they come with the bar pins BONDED to the shock eye bushings. So if you use the bar pin elims, you will need to get new bushings. Think i paid like $6 for a pair from Energy Suspension. Also, the rear upper shock mounts will most likely snap off, and if they do, the driver's side is near impossible to get a nut on the backside. The whole point of the BPE's is to apply constant pressure on the bushings so there's no movement, but like i said, the 5100's come with bonded bar pins, so they're not gonna move around at all. I haven't used the stem conversions, but keep in mind they're going to make your shock have that much less travel

Back