• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Questions

SFXJ125

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Gents,

I purchased a 97, Auto last year that has a 3.5" RE lift on it. Currently I have 31" tires and would like to upgrade to 33s.

My question is, will 33s fit without rub and if not what kind of suspension mods do I need to make?

I don't want to cut body but will if I have too. I would like to add the Bushwacker flat fenders and don't know if I cut into body whether or not I will be able to fit the Bushwackers.

Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance!

You will need to cut. I have 5" and my 285s will rub. Don't cut anything till you have your flares. From what 0gauge said about his flat fenders is they use part of your current flare mounting position. So you don't want to cut and not be able to mount them.

The flat fenders mainly only open your wheel well up front to back, they don't raise the opening much at all. If you're planning on getting them then definitely wait to cut until after you have them.

3.5" and 33's will definitely rub. I think you'd need to go up to 6.5" of lift if you want to run 33's w/o trimming. That said, plenty of people run 35's on 3.5-4.5" of lift. You just have to trim and bump stop accordingly.

photo2.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

This is a pic of my brothers Jeep. He is running a 4.5" lift w/ 32's...and even with the flat flares, he still rubs up front. We've added longer bump stops up front and that has cured that. With some bump stopping up front you could run 33's.

And like a few have said already, do not trim your fenders until you get the flat flares. The flares use the top holes from the factory flare to mount. The only cutting you do is on the front and back of the fender.

Thanks a ton guys. Suspicions confirmed. Decisions....

Swap lift altogether or stick with 3.5 and trim? I don't mind trimming, I guess I just have to decide if I want to go higher and in the long run I think I would like to.

Or trim now and go higher later? Sorry, thinking aloud.

Right now I'm running 3.5" of lift with 32's and 2" of extended hockey puck bump stops. The tires hit the stops about 1" from my trimmed fenders.

Trimming is cheaper than lifting. Besides if you trim now, it won't hurt later if you have to trim more.. :D

Here is a picture of a 32" km2 stuffed with the fender trimmed to the flare out. As you can see, more trimming is required. I have a 4" Tomken lift.

IMG_1039jpg.jpg

Keep a mild lift and keep suspension as simple and level as possible. Trim. Bumpstop. Wheel the shit out of it. Piss everyone off. Done.

3.5" and 35's
ef29b011.jpg

DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1262.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

its tight. But it fits. And works very very well and is super stable.

Last edited:
Dude I've been jonesin lately. Brings the suck.
We only got to run what, one trail together? We were supposes to show all the tall rigs what's up.

Post pics of your. You're what..4.5" on 35's?

Fwiw sfxj125, with no fenders and lots of hammer work in the back you can run 37's on like 4" :D

2w23rwz.jpg

tad over 4.5"... Still enough up travel to have an awsome ride whem jumping and wide enough to be super stable!

I'll be going 4.5" or so on mine with 32-33" tires to start, eventually 35's once I learn how to wheel again. :D

eventually 35's once I learn how to wheel again. :D
I will teach you the one and only rule for when it comes to point and shoot or what you call wheeling with 35s...

Turn into the flop and gas it. Tada

Your welcome.

Until you've experienced a roll, don't tell me how to drive out of one. It doesn't always work like you see on the rock crawling videos.

I don't call wheeling with 35's "point and shoot" either btw. I'm just a firm believer in try it once, try it a second time, and if you still can't "crawl" the line just hammer the hell down. :D

Back