• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Issues

VaBeachMike

NAXJA Forum User
Installed a RE Street Ride 3.5 Inch lift on my 2000XJ. It was a PIA to install, bolts breaking everywhere! The kit included the new rear leaf springs and shocks. While installing I installed new U-Joints on the read drive shaft. The spring really set the thing up in the air. I now have a vibration in the rear drive train. The angle on the front u joint seems extreme. Looking for soluitions or suggestions. I guess the next thing I need to do is use some degree shims and see if I can change the angle. Any suggestions on what might be causing or correcting the problem?? Thanks for the help in advance. Mike :doh:

Yep. Sounds like your pinion angle is wrong. Shim it up and try it out.

Do you have a SYE or a t-case drop?

I have the 1 inch drop that RE sells for the transfer case. Going to order a couple different degree shims and give it a try. Not sure what angle to start with. Wanna stay away from SYE, thats why i only went 3.5 inches. I do mostly all my driving on the road, might go wheeling a couple times a year!

As Xhavier said, without an SYE there is no reason to shim it. I would try taking out the t-cast drop and seeing what that does. I ran at 3.5 on an RE kit without the drop and it was fine.

Low Pinion 2000-01 are more likely to have drive line vibrations after lifting. Shimming the rear axle may help reduce the vibrations, but the real cure is to install an SYE.

You didn't tighten the rear spring bolts until after you lowered it and the full weight was on the ground did you?

Drive it for a few days, then loosen the bolts and see if it drops. I know mine did.

. Wanna stay away from SYE, thats why i only went 3.5 inches. I do mostly all my driving on the road, might go wheeling a couple times a year! QUOTE]

With 97+XJs, 3-1/2' lift is a lot. You should be able to get it the vibs to an acceptable level with a 1" TC drop and a rear axle shim. To really get rid of it, a SYE and a new driveshaft is the answer.
If you don't really plan on wheeling it, why lift it so high? Beside the rear problem, at 3-1/2", the front control arm angles are getting steep and the ride and handling are diminished.
You would be amaze what a completely stock XJ can do in capable hands.

You didn't tighten the rear spring bolts until after you lowered it and the full weight was on the ground did you?

Drive it for a few days, then loosen the bolts and see if it drops. I know mine did.

I just installed a 3" lift on my cherokee and took it for a little cruise after to see how it did. Kept hearing a clunking noise when accelerating, didn't realize they u bolts would be so loose after sitting it down. All of the u bolts were loose on and could be turned by finger. I tightened them down and plan on doing it again this weekend.

What do you mean see if it drops after you loosed the bolts? I have a slight vibe at 35 and 70 but nothing much. I plan on getting a tcase drop to resolve it.

I meant loosen the bolts at the front and rear of the springs, where the springs attach to the body. Leave the U-bolts tight.

loosen them, bounce it around some, then re-tighten. There is a torque spec on them, but I don't remember it off hand.

Vibe is probably driveshaft pinion angle, lots of articles on shimming it here. Do a search, get some shims and go at it. easy enough to do yourself.

Back