• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift hight

ogg said:
how high a lift can u go b4 having to mess with driveshaft stuff

please type stuff out all the way - "u" and "b4" are annoying slang pieces...

what year vehicle? Eagle will tell you about his factory upcountry package needing a driveshaft "messed" with, where some will say 6" without one is fine...

ogg said:
whats so annoying about it....i've seen others doing it...
im not a fast typer so this speeds things up
sorry if i offended ur english morals...didnt mean to
ogg

disregard the one above this one....i quoted the wrong lines....sry
ogg

XJ_ranger said:
please type stuff out all the way - "u" and "b4" are annoying slang pieces...
whats so annoying about it....i've seen others doing it...
im not a fast typer so this speeds things up
sorry if i offended ur english morals...didnt mean to
ogg

Well to answeer the question instead of having English 101. 2-3" is about all the higher one can usually go without running into somesort of vibrations, etc.

ogg,

what these guys need to kind of know, in general, is what year your XJ is....

it's pretty much a consensus that later model XJs don't take to well to lifts without SYE/Shaft while the older ones seem to be vibe free with the same size lift....

example, I'm planning on an RE 4.5 lift, but won't install it until I can also afford an SYE/Shaft becuase I know the odds are very high I'd get massive vibes (and weakness) from that lift on my year model....

lots of guys here will flat out tell ya to get the SYE/Shaft if you lift over 2" to be on the strong, vibe-free, safe side....

of course every XJ is different in some ways, so are the various lifts on the market...

no no no. not search, he wont understand. try, surch, or srch, or s.

I have a 2000 with a rubicon 3.5" super ride kit and had to go the SYE & driveshaft rout. Shims wouldn't correct the vibes.

ogg said:
If people spent half the time responding to the question instead of flaming everyone this board might have more GOOD info on it. Yes this has bee addressed many times but so what!

I have 3" on an 87 with no vibes but I wouldn't go any higher without planning a SYE+shaft and all the rest of the stuff that goes with 3+ lifts

I cant stress this enough. This is asked over and over and over. try searching it is a really simple concept.

jrsxj98 said:
I cant stress this enough. This is asked over and over and over. try searching it is a really simple concept.
if the serch came up with the same answers....
i have a 91 sport np231...not sure on the tranny...ax 4 or 5?

On most old style (91) you can go up to 4.5-5" with small amount of shim and a 1" t-case drop. Some can go higher some cant go this high, but most are in this area. This is what I have found from searching.

Im feeling the need to reply to this thread for 3 good reasons!!....

1.) The mans trying to ask a question and get information from ACTUAL PEOPLES opinions and facts; so that means this board is ACTUALLY on the internet for people to ASK QUESTIONS!!! We all know to SEARCH, but peoples opinions and personal experience can vary so the answers will vary...HENCE THE QUESTION THE MAN IS ASKING!!!

2.) If you dont like the way the guy typed his question then why reply to it with NO REGARDS to helping him with his/her question and just simply be an anoying fly and say stupid crap like "hey try searching" AND "hey try spell check"!!!!!!

3.) To answer your question from my XJ's "perspective", my 95 has no vibes at all with 3.5" of lift & oversized tires. I believe the ealier 90 year models can handle the lift better without needing added work cause there just more simplified thru production. If you own say a 2001 you may run into vibes because as the automotive industry advances every year,...the NEW models they make are designed to TRY to be "better then before" and therefore the new ones are MORE "spec specific",... a term meaning it was designed to ride perfectly the way it was produced!! SO hence if u start changing things then other things will not function as properly or how its intended to do.
And just 2 let the man know who started the thread, i took 2 years of automotive, worked in ur old mans style garages, have been "messin" with my "whips" since i started driving at age 14,(legaly at age 16), and am going back 2 school for technician/advanced automotive; welding/fabrication & design ths comming sept & i myself still feel the need 2 ask basic questions no matter what!!! My man, ask away, and spwelll evwiting the wayee u wannta !!!!!!

Back