• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift blocks

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

and yes, it was a pleasure to not get cursed for mentioning blocks, usually someone has something to flame about

Small blocks are not an issue, I ran a set of 3/4" blocks for 3 years before going to the shackle relocation brackets and never had any issues. Like others have said, just stay away from the really tall blocks.

On a recent trail ride a guy showed up with a XJ that had 4" blocks on the rear. We were skeptical if it would throw a shaft and none of us wanted to tow him through the terrain we were running but we decided to let him go with us anyway. He made it through the trail just fine to our surprise.

On the drive home he had to lock up the brakes on a gravel fire road for a deer and when he did the axle wrap was so bad that the stock drive shaft pulled out of the T-case and spit out, digging into the road bed and almost flipped the Jeep. I was behind him when it happened, a very scary moment! The left rear tire of the XJ was about 3' off the ground at one point.

Needless to say he no longer has lift blocks!

benulis55,

If you only need an inch or so just toss in two or three stock coil isolators. I believe they give between 3/8 to a half inch of thickness each. I run two on one side and three on the other to trim it out. I have run as many as 4 on one side and three on the other when trying out different spring sets from the junk yard and I wheeled with the 3 & 4 combo for about a year until I went to a taller spring. Its easier than making a spacer on a lathe. To do it right you will need a taper turning attachment to cut the upper surface so it fits the body contour (poly) or fits a stock coil isolator contour (aluminum).

John

What has happened to NAXJA? I had a rough day at work. I saw this post and was looking forward to another protracted flame war over lift block use. But NOOOOO. Suddenly everyone got mature and reasonable. In the past if some mentioned lift blocks it was flames to the death to be sure!!!!

Could it be that those of us that run lift blocks intelligently have finally won? Is Cal's advice so overwhelming that he has become the new "Goatman" with the final and last word on all things tech?

I am disappointed to miss out on a good fight. Is this the new, kinder gentler, O'Bama era NAXJA?

John

*blink*

Back