• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift and tire problems/questions

arentman77

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I'm new to the forum so hopefully I have this posted in the right place. I recently purchased a 1996 Cherokee sport with a rebuilt title. The Jeep came with a 3 in lift 32 11.50 15 bald tires on 15x10 in wheels. I was told that as part of the rebuild they had to replace the passenger fender, passenger door and front axle. After I got it home I realized the front axle was replaced with a low pinion dana 30 with 3.55 gears and also after measuring the lift from axle tube to frame rail I realized I have about 5 inches of lift in the front (3 inch coils and 2 inch coil spacer) and 3.5 in the rear(full leaf pack I think). The problem is I need new tires and with the stock gearing I would like to go down in tire size to maybe a 31 and remove the 2in coil spacer to bring the front down to a true 3 in lift. With my rims being 10in wide I would need wheels and tires and was thinking of going to a 245 75 16 or 265 75 16. My question is, is there any reason not to do this? What kind of problems might i have removing the coil spacers( I'm already planning on replacing sway bar links because bushings are shot). I think thats it. Thanks in advanced.

nothing wrong with removing the coil spacer.

as far as wheel/tire size... i would stick with a 15" rim unless you already have a set of 16s. tire selection is going to be cheaper. look for a 7 or 8" wide.

X2

If you remove the coil spacer, makes sure your shocks will be ok.

If they have too long a shock on it, and you remove 2" of lift, the shocks may stop suspension movement during compression and/or break something.

Shouldn't be an issue for normal driving, but you never know...they may have used 5" lift shocks on a 3" lift.

only way I know of is compress the suspension....unless you can find a part # on them and call

Like I said, that should only be a concern when wheeling hard, so just keep it in mind

To echo what the others said, get narrower wheels. You generally want your wheel to be a couple of inches narrower than your tire.

On the upside, any stock XJ or TJ wheel will work for you, and most jeep clubs will have a dozen or so guys who can't wait to get rid of their old stock wheels.

Back