• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Life changing event

cracked-butt

NAXJA Forum User
I know I haven't been on for s while. But had s serious life changing event happen that's kept me a bit busy.
My ex got frustrated and sent my son to me. He's 15 and the state of Pennsylvania diagnosed him with add, adhd & odd. So as of Feb. 26 I've been trying to get everything set up for him. Registered and into school, all new doctors, health care, the works.
He's had one "episode" that his mother would have put him back into juvie for. But he's learned that dad don't play that game. I have no problem putting my foot where it belongs to teach him a lesson.
Then had to find out that all the hearsay I've gotten is true. He IS on SSI, and his mother was trying to keep it herself. So I had to go take care of that, in person. Because they refused to tell me anything over the phone.
Anyway, he's adjusting extremely well. He was even my best man when we got married!!!

There were no such things as three letter diagnosis's when I was growing up. In most cases a good strong hand worked to teach a kid the consequences of inappropriate actions.

It is good to hear you are getting this under control. The structure and limits you teach now will benefit your son for the rest of his life.

I took in my 14 year old nephew when my sister kicked him out. He was used to getting drunk and staying out all night and getting failing grades. All his life he had been told he was worthless and stupid. Later in life he said the best training for Marine boot camp was the first six weeks in my house. By the time he graduated high school, he was a straight A student and on the football team.

Speaking as one who was a credentialed teacher I think a large percentage of these alphabet soup kids could be fixed with nothing more than a solidly placed foot in the right place. IOW, you are on the right track. In many instances these kids act the way they act because they know there are no meaningful consequences. Change that picture and they will change.

I am betting you will be the best thing to happen to that boy.

Thanks y'all! Glad I'm not the only one that believes in proper disaplineing a kid!
And it's so true, when we was kids a good backhand would straighten us out in a jiffy! Now a days the kids want to threaten the parents with calling the cops on them for it! Haha! My son learned fast dad don't play that game. And neither do the cops here.
So far I've not really had to put foot to "fifth point of contact" yet. But there were a few times he came close to it.
Now one thing I am having a bit of trouble with his is mouth. He swears more than I do! And being a vet, that can be a lot! Lol.
Anyhow, he keeps trying to be slick n "get me" ... It doesn't work, old man has a lot more experience than he does. Hehehe.
I just have to keep in mind, 1: he's still just a kid. 2: he's MY kid. 3: I must keep my cool when dealing with him. (So as not to break him).

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

There is a time and place even for breaking. That is the specialty of MCRD out here (Marine Corp Recruit Depot). They have no qualms about it. And then those they have broken they rebuild into men. As a vet you may have been through such an experience.

At fifteen it may be a challenge to wash out his mouth with soap, but you can darn sure demand that he drop and give you 20 every time he drops an f-bomb. And no, it does not matter that you are in the mall (or wherever). Gravel parking lots are the best. And yes, I do have all day, because you growing up to be a real man is a much higher priority than whatever else was on the agenda.

Keep up the good fight.

On the light side, my nephew would never get out of bed when I called to wake him up in the morning. I found a nice glass of ice water did the trick. It got where if he heard me coming down the stairs I the middle of the night, he would instantly wake up and get to his feet, even at 2am when I was just getting my clothes ready for a trip.

That was 30 years ago and I still get a chuckle about it.

Lol @Anak I understand the breaking you mean. Yes I've been through that breaking... But I'm meaning the permanent breaking, as I KNOW my strength & what I CAN do without even trying.... I have to keep myself in check to keep him out of the hospital or morgue!
Not that I'm Lue Farigno or the next Arnold Schwarzenegger , not by a long shot! Lol.
But I'll try that drop n give me 20 thing. My problem
Is that he's already been formed into a hood rat by the state & his mother. Now I have to undo 11 years of trash they put into his head. And teach him manners. Yes indeed, I've got my work cut out for me.

Old_man, that is funny. My wife (Hh6) had to take our daughter to the er tonight, they got home at 0100hrs (1am), he woke up & asked what time it was. I can only presume he was thinking it was time to get up for school. He's been waking up with an attitude, until HH6 says something or I wake up, then he straightens out rather quickly.
So I belie he knows which side of the bread the butter is on. Lol.
Pops done put a hurting on him once, he knows I'll do it again too. And I've got no qualms about it, he knows that too.
He's "tried" to put a few holds on me... Learned quickly that I've got more moves and experience than he could ever have.

Back