• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED flashlights - heads up

Also, getting KINDA off subject, wal mart has a great fixed blade knife by Ozark. Wooden handle with the stainless steel going all the way through, measures around 10 inches from end to end, and seems decently sharp. I always recommend some type of fixed-blade knife if you camp on a regular basis, and this one fits the bill at ten dollars. If it were a buck i would have dropped 60 at least, for a comparable product.

I just bought a new 3 d cell maglite today and it came with a 3 watt LCD bulb already in it. Man is this thing bright! I can shine it 200 feet away and still see whats now there!

I was thinking of my converted mini-mag tonight.....as I lit up the 120' mark on a tower with my SureFire L4. My mini-mag could NEVER do that, even with the bulb, much less the LED.

Rev

Rev Den said:
I was thinking of my converted mini-mag tonight.....as I lit up the 120' mark on a tower with my SureFire L4. My mini-mag could NEVER do that, even with the bulb, much less the LED.

Rev
Surefires rock :D I was of a mindset of why I would want to pay so much money for one till I tried one. Now I own a few ;)

Kejtar said:
Surefires rock :D I was of a mindset of why I would want to pay so much money for one till I tried one. Now I own a few ;)

Had a buddy give me a G2 Nitrolon. That's my lightweight 'carry' light that resides next to a spare mag on my hip. ;) I've also got a Streamlight Strion that I bought when it came out. I carried a Streamlight Stinger (rechargeable) for several years before that and always wished they would come out with a tiny rechargeable. :) That Stinger is STILL alive and has only had the battery replaced once and the switch assembly changed out. Even that was only because the button wore through from being used so much. :D 12 years, a few drops from my back pocket while chasing bad guys, and being run over by patrol cars a couple of times, and it's still in excellent shape. Haven't even had to change the bulb out...

But anyway, I'll second the LED utility lights. They're great for short range use and last a long time. I bought a headlamp that's been priceless for use under the Jeep. :)

mmmMUD96xj said:
LED's are hands down the way to go... a Light Emitting Diode, a simple electrical component that when tweaked for a desired application can blow the pants off of any conventional light...

LED's have their strong points, but they're still not brighter than the best incandescent or HID lights. If that's what you mean by 'blow the pants off'....

:)

I can't break away from reading this thread.. AWWWWW.. It's like crack... I keep coming back for more...
:smoker:

Elias

EliasJ123 said:
I can't break away from reading this thread.. AWWWWW.. It's like crack... I keep coming back for more...
:smoker:

Elias

Hey ECKSJAY I know where this addict lives.......is there a 'finders fee' for turning in drug users?
;)

Wait, this isn't the San Fransico Chapter is it?

Rick

Ronbo said:
LED's have their strong points, but they're still not brighter than the best incandescent or HID lights. If that's what you mean by 'blow the pants off'....

:)

agreed... but i'm an electronics technician for helicopters... when you break stuff down to component level like transistors, resistors, capacitors, etc. on circuit cards... i can't keep the nerd in me from getting excited when i see a little piece of nothin light up an entire room like it's daytime - along with the fact that streaming an LED hasn't realllly been mastered yet... i'll agree that when you're looking for a ranged, concentrated beam, LED's maybe aren't the way to go... i love the hell out of them though :D

-Stephen

dzraces said:
just installed the led bulb for my 6 cell and DAMN what a differnce

Where did you get the bulb from? All the ones I see are for the 3 or 4 cell's . I need one for my 6 cell

Back