• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Learning about my own car.

ang31-0f-d347h

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ. I really love it but sometimes I feel like I dont know enough about it.

Is any publishers that sell really good books for that kind of stuff or no?

ang31-0f-d347h said:
I have an 88 XJ. I really love it but sometimes I feel like I dont know enough about it.

Is any publishers that sell really good books for that kind of stuff or no?

You are tuned on to the BEST information resource on the XJ that exists. Read these posts and your brain will grow three sizes from the knowledge that the intelligent posters share with you.

Rev

Depends on what you want to know.

If you're looking for general tech, I gotta go with the Rev - finding XJ-specific tech is what got me in here all those years ago. Go through the archves, and see what you can see (and get ready to buy bigger hats - you'll need them to have room for everything you're going to learn.)

If you have specific questions, try the "search" button above and to the right. There's a lot in here, and you might have to try various terms to get the results you want - but it's probably here.

If that doesn't pan out - ask! Make sure you include all relevant information (like a lot of noobs here don't - then get sore when we ask them what they're working on. It does make a difference...) and we'll do what we can.

I'd estimate at least 300 man-years of XJ-specific experience here, and probably three times that in general mechanics. If you can't find out exactly what you're looking for here, we should at least be able to put you on the right track...

5-90

My problem is im a hands on learner. If I have material to compare to the real thing (my car) im good. I have reading issues. Im very intelligent otherwise.

hard to explain.

Check your local chapter (Southeast?) to see who's down there by you, and see about linking up for wrench days or something like that...

I agree - I'm also very visual (no reading issues - that's just the way my head works,) and I'll often learn something better if shown it. Oddly, I almost never get lost with a map - no matter how sketchy - but have lots of trouble with written directions to get somewhere. Go figure.

If you were out here, I'd drop by - or have you drop by - and we could get you on the road to wherever it is you'd like to go. Sorry - but Florida & back is a little more than a week-end trip (although I did once make Atlanta & back in six days...)

5-90

Chilton and Haynes make manuals, they are less than perfect, but better than nothing. Your Jeep dealer will sell you a book about Jeep engines, it's also good.

It is a lot easier having the book on the fender of the Jeep, I agree.

Fred

Back