• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leak checking junkyard transfer case

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I looked around my local jy & all the transfer cases are greasy/grimy looking.
Is there any way to leak check junkyard transfer cases?
I thought about clamping a tire valve in some tubing onto the transfer case vent & pumping it up to 5psi & seeing if it holds.
What do you guys think?
I don't want to get stuck with a leaker, requiring me to replace seals & resealing the case.

I'd think that would be hard to check with the fluid cold and not being moved around the case. You'd never be able to check the output seals since the fluid would never get up there and I suspect the seals aren't air tight new, much less used and dry from no fluid circulation. They are meant to stop fluid from getting out and water from getting in.

I figure the hardest part is getting the thing off anyway and once off, it's pretty easy to replace all the seals and put a good layer of rtv on the halves and button it back up. Plus you get to check out the internals to make sure you aren't driving a time bomb. And since you are there, you can upgrade the planetary gear and chain to make it stronger.

Most t-cases will look like that from years of dirt and leaks all blowing back onto it from the motor and trans. I just took the t-case out of a rig I'm parting and I know it doesn't leak but its covered in oil and crap. Your best bet is to take off the upper fill home cover and pop your finger inside and if the level is good then its probably not leaking.

Back