• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring removal question

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well to start off i have searched and couldn't really find what i was looking for. I just picked up a set of 4.5" leaf springs to put on my 91 xj. I was actually able to turn the bolts without breaking the weld nut but the bolt won't come out. Just wondering if this means that the bushing is rusted to the bolt? I know that this sounds like a noob question but this is my first time swappin leaf springs.

Also, if i can't get the bolt out, can i just cut the bolt off next to the leaf spring and drop them out and then get the rest of the bolt out of the nut? I have read that it mite be easier to just cut and access hole and put a whole new nut and bolt in there just incase i swap springs again.

Any info you guys could give me would help out a lot.

Thanks,
Ben

Sounds like it's seized to the bushing. I actually cut through the spring eye & got the packs out of the way. I had more room to attack the bushing that way. JIM.

That what i thought was wrong with it but just wanted to make sure. Where at would i cut the spring eye to get at the bushing?

I had the same problem. I used a cutting wheel to start my cut through the actual leaf eye, and then in tighter areas I used a Dremel with a small cutting wheel to remove the rubber bushing and the metal sleeve (which is probably whats seized inside the bushing), it was annoying and time consuming but I didn't break anything.

Back