• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf slider

If these things helped people would actually use them don't give yourself too much credit magellan your not gonna be a pioneer in suspension alternatives.

:p

I think it would limit the spring some in articulation, IE when you stuff a tire one one side and full droop on the other. The spring and the bushings have to twist and flex to allow this to happen. I see this bieng very hard on the slider.

I'm glad people are agreeing with me since he shot me down immediately. Why is he asking the questions anyway he seems to be such an expert.

lancey3 said:
Why is he asking the questions anyway he seems to be such an expert.

that is what I am wondering. Sounds like he has his mind made up and the skills to complete the project. I would like to see pics of it done and in action. Then we will see how well it really works. But talking in theory does do any of us good.

I wondered about them quite a while ago, when a blurb about them appeared in (I think) 4Wheel and Offroad mag. The problem with them as I see it, is that most versions use either poly or delrin bushings which wouldn't hold up to offroad abuse. (Before anyone comments about poly bushings not holding up to abuse, first check to see the application, please.) The other types use bearings, which as far as I can tell, are the exact same ones used for roller blades and skateboards. No way those will hold up to offroading.

tdr1213 said:
A slider would actually be less stressful on the frame. As a shackle arcs, the forces increase and then decrease again. Often people have their shackles installed incorrectly (with the angle greater than 90 degrees at normal ride height) and also at full compression a shackle often slams into the box frame, thus limiting travel. A slider wouldn't do this.

a shackle should be at about a 45, not a 90 or more. if your shackle is at a 90 degree or higher angle maybe a slider would be better. you would have to fab a lot to get the slider on there, it would be easier to just move the top of the shackle forward till you have the correct angle.

plus at droop and compression as the shackle pivots the rear eye of the spring goes up and down, which is travel. a slider wont do this, maybe you could mount it at an angle

lancey3 said:
If these things helped people would actually use them don't give yourself too much credit magellan your not gonna be a pioneer in suspension alternatives.

:p

Ha ha, you remind me of the US patent office director in the mid 1800's who said, "all that can be invented has been invented". He was spot on uh?

So....it seems more and more of these sliders are being put on leaf sprung wranglers and suzuki's. I saw several at the Jeep Jamboree in Naches WA last month (150 rigs there) and it was the first time I saw leaf spring sliders on trail rigs. This isn't my pioneeering new suspension alternatives - they already exist.

I'm inquiring, in this forum, if anyone in cherokee land had any experience or thoughts on this. Maybe this question is beyond you, because it's more than a bolt on and one can't buy it from rubicon express.

lancey3 said:
I'm glad people are agreeing with me since he shot me down immediately. Why is he asking the questions anyway he seems to be such an expert.

This isn't a contest of winners and losers. Rather, a collaborative invironment to explore ideas. I'm sorry you perceived me as "shooting you down". That was certainly not my intention.

I read the tech article you sent (thanks, it was very good and I appreciate you actually finding research and submitting it) but, I didn't see where it said spring travel would be limited. So I inquired further.

BlueCuda said:
I think it would limit the spring some in articulation, IE when you stuff a tire one one side and full droop on the other. The spring and the bushings have to twist and flex to allow this to happen. I see this bieng very hard on the slider.

Ya, I agree. It could be hard on the slider. I did find this in the tech article lancey3 attached.

"You can eliminate any static leaf spring twist by shimming or angle milling the axle mount or lowering block, or by angling the leaf and shackle frame mounts. However, twist will still develop as soon as the chassis begins to roll!
Leaf twist is more pronounced with solid type leaf eye bushings than with the more pliable rubber bushings. Practically all potential for twisting a leaf spring is eliminated by using an AFCO front eye pivot instead of a bushing."

Regardless of the slider, the front eye pivot might be worth exploring.

plus at droop and compression as the shackle pivots the rear eye of the spring goes up and down, which is travel. a slider wont do this, maybe you could mount it at an angle[/QUOTE]

Good point.

I thought about drooping it fully and noting where the shackle eye stopped, and then compressing it fully and noting again where the shackle eye stopped. Draw a line between these two points and that would basically be where the slot in the slider would be placed (angle and length). Maybe even make the slot a little longer for more droop.

Here is a link that shows a picture of a leaf spring slider. This is a heavy duty one and I believe this type could hold up to spring twist as well as a shackle. I do believe the slot would need to be longer though. This isn't necessarily what I'd use, but for conceptualization only.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/5817,154_Heavy-Duty-Leaf-Spring-Sliders.html

I would've added it directly, but I haven't figured out how to insert pictures - and for some reason a simple copy and paste wasn't working.

KSXJ said:
that is what I am wondering. Sounds like he has his mind made up and the skills to complete the project. I would like to see pics of it done and in action. Then we will see how well it really works. But talking in theory does do any of us good.

I'm glad you agree that talking a theory through, with other experts, is good. Because one could learn something from another's experience prior to fabrication.

I'm gonna hold out for a few more chimes (inputs), but it's still an interesting idea that might have some legs. The prototype is still in my head though. Often much is discovered through the design and build process, and then again in the testing phase.

Leaf sliders aren't a great idea IMHO. Maybe they work for cars, but when have you ever seen a car setup to have 12" of droop on one tire? Sliders may help upwards compression and the forces a car faces at the track, but I don't think they're designed to do anything for downtravel.

I've been realizing more and more that a good wheeling rig should be setup with a low COG. Low COG means little uptravel and lots of downtravel per tire... I don't think a slider can do a better job of allowing droop then a shackle. It limits twist. A shackle with rubber bushings will be able to twist better and allow your axle to droop more freely.

Take a look at revolver shackles for example... they're designed to allow the leaf to unload completely and have more droop. Maybe a slider and shackle combo would work, but you'd probably need a fairly stiff pack to use both sliders and shackles if it would even work at all.

Check out Teraflex's Z-Box and Revolver shackle combo...

Back