• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Largest Gear w/stock carrier

PWT001.jpeg

FAQ thread at top of forum said:

Last edited:
If you have an 8.25 you do not need a new carrier. 30/35 or 44 anything lower than 3.55 ie (3.73, 4.10 and so on) you will need one. Unless you get a locker.

sorry took so long to get back, but I have d30 and d35, so sounds like need new carrier... might just have to get locker and 4.56 set :)

MTY Mouse said:
sorry took so long to get back, but I have d30 and d35, so sounds like need new carrier... might just have to get locker and 4.56 set :)

First you need a new rear axle, please do not put any money into that d35.

MTY Mouse said:
Thanks for the advice, sorry to all the xj vets...

Why sorry (not that im a vet)? Everybody starts somewhere, at least you are making the effort to learn. That says a lot in comparison to many people.

hmmm, I'm suprised to see this issue.

I just bought the new carrier that I was told went with the 4:56 set. I got it and set it beside the old one. I measure absolutely no height difference in the ring gear mounting surface. What's the difference supposed to be between these carriers. Surely they didn't send me the same carrier?!

i agree that swapping in another rear is worthwhile. if you want to run anything larger than 33's or 34's, you're going to need a d44 or 8.8 because of the gearing available for the 8.25 (notice i'm not even considering the d35). it only goes up to 4.56 which is good for an auto on 33s or a manual on 34s. if you plan on staying smaller than that, a 29 spline 8.25 is plenty solid and it's an extremely easy swap, a direct bolt on. i'm not 100% sure, and someone help me out here, but i believe that a d44 from an 87-89 xj is also a straight swap. just some options to consider. all these axles can be picked up pretty cheaply at pick and pulls too. there's also some decent write ups on junkyard dissasembly (cutting, breaking things, etc). and thoughts on the d30 too- if you plan on running anything monstrous you're going to have to truss it because they bend relatively easily. lots of things to consider. hope this helped.

Back