• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lap top Scanner

I always thought it would be cool and cheaper to have a cable and software to hook my laptop up to. I'd like to just be able to monitor and log the basic stuff not sure if it can be viewed real-time?

You can do realtime monitoring of some things, but that's going to be dependent on the software you're using. FWIW, if you're doing realtime, you may want to consider getting a bluetooth ODB-II reader to keep cable mess in the cabin down.

,for my 97.

You should be fine.

winterbeater said:
Same thing I thought, so I ebayed and started a thread a while back on the same topic. I didn't order it yet, but I intend to. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ighlight=OBDII

Are you sure you want to order from this guy? I just read through that thread, and I've got to say I'm in agreement with everyone regarding cost and quality because I've been there before with Chinese products. It's your call, but anytime I see the cheap price / high shipping routine being pulled, it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

You can do realtime monitoring of some things, but that's going to be dependent on the software you're using. FWIW, if you're doing realtime, you may want to consider getting a bluetooth ODB-II reader to keep cable mess in the cabin down.

You should be fine.

Are you sure you want to order from this guy? I just read through that thread, and I've got to say I'm in agreement with everyone regarding cost and quality because I've been there before with Chinese products. It's your call, but anytime I see the cheap price / high shipping routine being pulled, it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Is there a place or particular brand you would recommend? I hate ebay actually and refuse to buy anything off there these days ha. Also I'd like blutooth but it's not a deal breaker to run a cable. I might get real ambitious and run a cable behind the dash to the passenger side.

Is there a place or particular brand you would recommend?

Off the top of my head, there isn't. Sorry - I'm in the same boat you are right now as regards having to figure out who is and isn't worth dealing with. The last time I fooled around with ODB-II stuff was about 5 years ago, and there have been changes in what's available both hardware- and software-wise in that time, as well as suppliers. I'm in something of a relearning process myself with all of that right now.

I hate ebay actually and refuse to buy anything off there these days ha. Also I'd like blutooth but it's not a deal breaker to run a cable. I might get real ambitious and run a cable behind the dash to the passenger side.

Understood re: the cable, but here's my thinking with Bluetooth: if you're doing any hood-up troubleshooting where you need to watch what the OBD port is telling you, not having to be tethered to a cable may be preferable - set your laptop somewhere convenient, pull codes, fiddle with whatever the offending item is, then re-read. I realise my original example was for not cluttering the cabin while using it in motion, but not getting tangled up in (or tangling up) the cable to your OBD-II port while working on the Jeep would be handy as well.

You can buy used Snap-On "Bricks" for $300 to $500.
do these bricks show realtime stats like o2 and injection like a ociloscope?

Off the top of my head, there isn't. Sorry - I'm in the same boat you are right now as regards having to figure out who is and isn't worth dealing with. The last time I fooled around with ODB-II stuff was about 5 years ago, and there have been changes in what's available both hardware- and software-wise in that time, as well as suppliers. I'm in something of a relearning process myself with all of that right now.

Understood re: the cable, but here's my thinking with Bluetooth: if you're doing any hood-up troubleshooting where you need to watch what the OBD port is telling you, not having to be tethered to a cable may be preferable - set your laptop somewhere convenient, pull codes, fiddle with whatever the offending item is, then re-read. I realise my original example was for not cluttering the cabin while using it in motion, but not getting tangled up in (or tangling up) the cable to your OBD-II port while working on the Jeep would be handy as well.

Under hood use would be cool to have bluetooth I didn't even think of that actually. I'm more concerned with cost though and adding bluetooth I'm thinking would add a a lot to the cost vs a usb setup. If the price wasn't that much over usb certainly wireless would be my choice.

Under hood use would be cool to have bluetooth I didn't even think of that actually. I'm more concerned with cost though and adding bluetooth I'm thinking would add a a lot to the cost vs a usb setup. If the price wasn't that much over usb certainly wireless would be my choice.

Your call on that one - I'm seeing Bluetooth versions at around $50, which doesn't seem outrageous to me for what you get. It's definitely 2-3 times more than a decent-quality cable, though, but for the convenience and what you're planning on doing with it may be worth it.

do these bricks show realtime stats like o2 and injection like a ociloscope?

The only problem with the bricks is making sure you get the back-lit screen, the right card for the Renix Jeep, and the right cable.

Your call on that one - I'm seeing Bluetooth versions at around $50, which doesn't seem outrageous to me for what you get. It's definitely 2-3 times more than a decent-quality cable, though, but for the convenience and what you're planning on doing with it may be worth it.

Where are you seeing them for $50, that seems reasonable if it's a decent seller. I was looking at this one, wired for 25 bucks and free shipping. Might be worth it just to see what kind of software I can get(macos) running before spending more money...

Where are you seeing them for $50, that seems reasonable if it's a decent seller. I was looking at this one, wired for 25 bucks and free shipping. Might be worth it just to see what kind of software I can get(macos) running before spending more money...

Here is one for $55: http://www.dixdiscount.com/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=2790

Here is one for $49.95: http://www.alpha-bid.com/product29.html#29

(out of stock until 4-1-2010)

Here is one for $53.99 with free shipping: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921

Google OBDII bluetooth.

Yea, I was googling but just wasn't sure if anyone had any direct experience with a particular vendor...

That is your homework. 500 word double-spaced report due in two weeks! :eek:

What if it's coming from china, 2 weeks might not cut it ; p .

NO EXCUSES, this will make up 50 percent of your grade, and late papers will not be accepted! :lecture:

I been watching and thinking about the same topic for years. My interest is not only for monitorin engine parameters, but also anit-lock and body control units like HVAC controls.
Why all the extra stuff for an XJ? I also have a WJ and would like to be able to diagnose those untis as well. Plus I have a Renix and a 91 with OBD-1. I would like something that works with all of them. At least the OBD's.

I haven't seen anything in a price range that I think is cost effective. By now this should not be rocket science, but I think the IP owneres have done a good job of keeping out of general circulation.

I haven't seen anything in a price range that I think is cost effective. By now this should not be rocket science, but I think the IP owneres have done a good job of keeping out of general circulation.
You got that right. I spent a few weeks searching for a full spec for the OBD II interface alone, just so I could watch the data and see if I could decipher it myself, and came up mostly empty handed. Automotive electronics is one of the toughest markets to break into that I have ever seen - they go to great lengths, including having the semiconductor manufacturers put their custom part numbers on common chips. It's quite frustrating to see what I know is just a 74LSxx series TTL chip I probably have the part number and pin-out of memorized... but with a custom 8 digit Chrysler part number on it that means absolutely nothing to me and comes up with nothing relevant when googled.

I searched on eBay but couldn't find any USB code reader or data logger for OBD-I. Is there such thing at all?

I been watching and thinking about the same topic for years. My interest is not only for monitorin engine parameters, but also anit-lock and body control units like HVAC controls.
Why all the extra stuff for an XJ? I also have a WJ and would like to be able to diagnose those untis as well. Plus I have a Renix and a 91 with OBD-1. I would like something that works with all of them. At least the OBD's.

Back