• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knocking

I am glad you brought this up. I just got a 1997 XJ 4.0 with 90,000 miles and I have noticed the same thing. I never planned on signing up until I saw this post.

I have a higher oil pressure than what you posted around 40 with a ticking sound that comes and goes. I usually hear it from inside the jeep in the morning after I have driven two miles or so and it has warmed up. I can get it to go away sometimes by turning it off and then starting it back up, but that does not always work. When it does seem to go away I still hear it when I get my head under the hood. I would describe it as a fast clock like ticking noise near the top (head?) at the rear of the engine. My guess so far is that it has something to do with the valves or lifters. I've been told that these Jeeps have hydraulic lifters and sometimes one of them can stick and make a ticking noise.

This ticking like a clock noise seemed to start after I changed the oil. The PO had used valvoline I think and I put in regular 10W-30 Castrol oil.

I hope this helps.

Yeah mine seemed to begin happening after I changed my oil for the second time when i got it from the PO.

langer1...How would one go about checking for a cracked manifold? I can't really get my head in there to get a good look seeing as how the intake is in the way and you cant really see much underneath.

EDIT: BTW, that description of it sounding like a clock noise is RIGHT on.

Okay just an update if this helps at all...when I park on a hill facing the jeep downhill the noise almost dissipates into nothing, however when I face the jeep uphill the noise is noticeably louder...does this help at all? Figured I'd just keep going with this thread then keep making new ones.

Had some knocking in the lower engine compartment and I remove the bell housing inspection cover to find out that 3 out of 4 bolts where lose. I used locktite and torque them down to spec. I have not tried to start the engine but hope that this take care of the noise. Although the knocking wasn't that loud it did raise some consern since it was in the lower part of the engine. I also did a screw driver to the ear test and the noise seem to be coming from the bell housing area and not the engine. Crossing fingers.

If you still have a catalytic converter , bang on the housing right after a cold start up , it was the cause of my "bottom end knock ".a new test pipe is in the works and the cat back system came on the brown truck today!

Back