• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kids driving on the trail? Rules?

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
So while wheeling this weekend (well riding shot gun while Emily [12 yrs old]was driving) had a run in with a real asshat of a ranger,
Just wondering if any one knows what the law says about a kid driving on trails forest service roads ect!
A link to statutes would be awesome
Did a little quick googling but didn't find much! Thought someone here might have experience with it!

Here she is on the rock garden chinaman

not sure about CO, but in CA forest service roads are technically public roads and subject to most of the same laws, hell there are even speed limits.

not sure about CO, but in CA forest service roads are technically public roads and subject to most of the same laws, hell there are even speed limits.
Yeah i know its different than that here but just not sure exact rules/laws
thx though

This may be COMPLETELY wrong but I had a conversation about this with a sheriffs deputy in Creede last year while hunting. .

He said that the laws of driving on forest service, blm and county roads are the same as operating a motor vehicle on "regular" roads IF the vehicle is licensed as such. If it isnit, then the OHV rules come into play - and they vary greatly. Most counties in CO are 10 years old w insurance if they are going to venture onto county roads

YMMV, this is what I was told (my 9yo was driving my xj...).

thats kinda what i figured, however i have a feeling if this nerd could have writen me a ticket he would have he was a real douch bag,:soapbox: and i pretty much told him to take a hike, "if your gonna ticket us go for it otherwise piss off and go away" is what i told him:gee: LOL he seemed pretty mad, so either he didn't know what ticket to write or he didn't have the authority to do it.:dunno: I pretty much expected him to come back with a deputy and either ticket me or arrest me!:roflmao::roflmao: he saw where we were camping earlier in the day when he wanted to see the registration for my jeep! guy was just a ass ALL DAY LONG

What notamos posted is exactly correct. Private property is the only domain where all of the motor vehicle laws don't reach....... the only exceptions are these 5: DUI/DUID, DWAI, Reckless Driving, Careless Driving and Unsafe Backing (parking lot "law").

As far as the Ranger you were dealing with....... he was doing his job (no, not the being an asshat part.......), but it's certainly possible he's not a State Certified Peace Officer able to issue State or County summonses which would explain why both you and Emily didn't receive a ticket.

Yes..... Emily would have been the one to get the ticket as she was the operator of the vehicle. 42-2-101 Driving without a valid license.

You would have received a ticket for allowing Emily to drive. 42-2-139 Permitting unauthorized minor to drive.

Motor vehicle insurance issues also arise from this kind of situation. God forbid...... but had Emily had an accident that caused property damage or bodily injury, your insurance would not cover it.

Lastly, our Child Abuse statutes have become so crazy as of late...... an incident that places Emily at risk of injury.... to any degree... can result in you being charged with Child Abuse. Interpretations of how this could apply in this situation are so wide open..... but it happens A LOT in this day and age.

It's just what things are coming down to these days. I personally think it's great that you're the kind of dad that's getting your girls real world experience and supporting them to become strong, self supporting individuals. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks Troy, I was hoping you would chime in! His name tag said "law enforcement" as did his truck but he didn't carry a side arm, only a taser. Anyway I guess we'll stick to her driving on only the actual trails and stay away from the tincup type stuff that a ranger can actually get to!

So then when we finish her jeep(in a few months) should I just register it as a OHV do that she can legally drive it on trails?
OHV rules seem to be that she could drive as long as supervised???

I'm not sure this would "technically" provide you the loophole you're looking for - but it might provide hours of endless argument over definitions with a Ranger or a Judge. Seemingly, it's not how the vehicle is registered.... it's what the vehicle actually IS.

Having a Cherokee NOT registered for the streets but registered as an OHV simply means it won't be legal to drive on the street, but you've met the legal requirements for registration and taxation to use the Cherokee on the trails.

Emily riding a 4-wheeler ATV or a UTV (side-by-side) on the trails is different than her driving a vehicle legally defined as a Motor Vehicle.

Ya dig?

All this lawyer-speak is hurting my blue-collar brain........

Lol yeah I get it,
We'll just stick to trails that LEOs can't get to for now I guess! Thanks Funny thing is she out drove several of the adults we were with this weekend! 👏🏽👏🏽

I'm glad Troy chimed in before I saw the thread... saved me having to research Title 42! I tried to get your attention when I passed you in Woody Park Monday in the Dakota/popup rig, JD, but you were playing with your radio (or something :eyes:)

Haha sorry Grin missed ya,
Where would I find the legal definition of a OHV

CRS 33-14.5-101(3) -- "Off-Highway Vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle which is designed to travel on wheels or tracks in contact with the ground, which is designed primarily for use off the public highways and which is generally and commonly used to transport persons for recreational purposes. Off-highway vehicle does not include (a) vehicles designed and used primarily for travel on, over, or in the water; (b) snowmobiles; (c) military vehicles; (d) golf carts; (e) vehicles designed and used to carry individuals with disabilities; (f) vehicles designed and used specifically for agricultural, logging, or mining purposes; or, (g) vehicles registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42, CRS.

CRS 33-14.5-101(3) -- "Off-Highway Vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle which is designed to travel on wheels or tracks in contact with the ground, which is designed primarily for use off the public highways and which is generally and commonly used to transport persons for recreational purposes. Off-highway vehicle does not include (a) vehicles designed and used primarily for travel on, over, or in the water; (b) snowmobiles; (c) military vehicles; (d) golf carts; (e) vehicles designed and used to carry individuals with disabilities; (f) vehicles designed and used specifically for agricultural, logging, or mining purposes; or, (g) vehicles registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42, CRS.

UGGGGGH lawyer speak! :read::read::read: MY HEAD HURTS:gonnablow

I didn't write it man, just the messenger! My take on it -- if your daughter's jeep is not registered (g - above), and is "used for recreational purposes", its an OHV. What affect that has on your daughter's ability to drive it offroad legally, I don't really have an opinion on, but I can read some more...

Nah no need, I don't really care anymore..... We will just ride on the trails that we know "Ranger Rick"can't get his truck into!

LOL - she was driving awfully well. I'm going to show it to my 12-13 year old boys when I get home who were pretty proud of their performance on ATVs and UTVs this weekend... she's showing em up! :cheers:

Yeah she out drove a couple of the adults we had with us! They couldn't run the same line in a equal built rig, haha we had to rub tags in a good bit!

Coarse we all know it's really the spotter that matters! Lmao

Some law enforcement officials are not cut out for the job. I have a misdemeanor for reckless driving. Given to me by trooper Larry Thomas Christmas eve 1997 ...lol...for doing 3mph circles in the empty parking lot of the high school in a foot of snow in a T bird with aqua treads ...lol...he said I could roll over...??? At 3 mph on flat ground???...he nearly crashed into us rushing at speed off us 285 in to the un plowed lot to tell me how dangerous what "I" was doing was...only near wreck was the cop who nearly crashed at speed ...then he was going to write me for child abuse since my 15 year old brother was in the passenger seat...Just imagine running into a douche like that with your daughter driving under age .

Back