• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key wont turn to start

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
My key will turn to the run position, acc position, I can pull it out no problem, but it wont turn that lil extra to start the jeep. I have to turn it to the run position and then jump the starter with a screw driver. What i'm wondering is whether this is a key / lock cylinder or ignition switch issue ? Hoping to find out before I start tearing into this and spending money :confused1

Thanks for any help !

This is a 1990 Limited, auto, with tilt

You'll probably have to remove the lock cylinder to find out. Once you get it out, stick a screwdriver down the hole and see if that starts it, if so it's just the cylinder.

Lock cylinders for that vintage are no more than $20 with two keys included.

Might just need to adjust the ignition switch on the column, they work loose and slide around.

if it just stops and wont go to the momentary part to start it, its the lock cylinder or the rod as Joe mentioned. if it does and nothing happens, its usually either the the ignition switch or the NSS.

The early tilt columns are notorious for having problems. there was a writeup done by shelbyluvv on here awhile back for replacing the lock cylinder, its a pain without the proper tools but can be done. I'll find it and post the link.

Thanks guys ! I will try and get er' apart tomorow and see what happens.

On a side note - i ripped the bottom dash out today and i cant see anything that looks like it might be the ignition switch. I see the light "bright" switch and the rod connecting to the blinker lever. if i reach up on top of the steering i can feel what i think is the rod to the ignition switch. There is so much crap under there i cant see where it goes though. I tried wiggling it and it still wouldnt turn over...

Thanks again ya'll

:cheers:

if you can find any info on a late 80s or early 90s Chevy S10 column, its the same part. might be easier to dig up a schematic that way :cheers:

If you lower the steering column it will be much easier to get to the switch.

borrowed a puller and a lock plate tool from the parts store today. Pulled the key cylinder and was able to start it with a pair of needle nose. Picked up a new one and swapped it in and VOILA ! Worked out great. $12 bucks, problem solved. Thanks for the advice guys.

Back