• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping Receipts

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Some of the parts I buy come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty (LLW), like brakes, starters, shocks, etc. I always keep the receipts so I can get free replacements when they finally do go. I keep them in one of those zippered pocket gizmos that strap over the visor so I always know where to find them. I keep my reg and ins card there too.

Problem now is that most of the receipts from autoparts stores were printed on thermal paper. Age and heat has rendered most of them unreadable. I discovered this looking for the receipt for the rancho shocks I bought somewhere around 6 years ago.

Looks like I need a different filing system in addition to new shocks. :(

Some of the parts I buy come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty (LLW), like brakes, starters, shocks, etc. I always keep the receipts so I can get free replacements when they finally do go. I keep them in one of those zippered pocket gizmos that strap over the visor so I always know where to find them. I keep my reg and ins card there too.

Problem now is that most of the receipts from autoparts stores were printed on thermal paper. Age and heat has rendered most of them unreadable. I discovered this looking for the receipt for the rancho shocks I bought somewhere around 6 years ago.

Looks like I need a different filing system in addition to new shocks. :(

I noticed the same thing w/ the disappearing ink! I now scan all the reciepts to parts with long warranties and save them on my computer. That way, I always know where they are and I can just print a legible copy.
Billy

when I worked parts I told people to go next door to the supermarket and use their copying machine. Cost $.10 and now the receipt lasts much longer.

Most stores also keep the warranty parts in your purchase history. The problem is that advance does not link their stores together, so you would still need to remember where you got the item.

when I worked parts I told people to go next door to the supermarket and use their copying machine. Cost $.10 and now the receipt lasts much longer.

Most stores also keep the warranty parts in your purchase history. The problem is that advance does not link their stores together, so you would still need to remember where you got the item.

I'm scanning what's left of mine now.

Autozone keeps the history too now, linked to my "rewards" account. Problem is I bought the shocks at Pepboys years ago before they did anything like that.

some of the receipts i got from napa about a year ago are already really faded. if i start scanning or reprinting them i know ill end up going into OCD mode and organizing them in a binder or something :looney:

the guy who bought my 01' was amazed that all the receipts and maintence records were actually organized

dont keep them in a hot place. keep them in your house and they will last for years

i have started a file that i keep most of the receipts for my jeep and truck in (when i finally remember to put them in there). but brake clean will also render thermal paper unreadable.

Ive had them go blank in the house in a shoebox. Total scam. At least now some of them keep your phone number for warranty. Oreilly has good paper.

Back