• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping in second gear write up done.

flash_gordon said:
Back from the dead......
So, anyone running this on a 97+?
I really want to lock it into 2nd rear......
Shawn

http://www.awshifting.com

LETNER said:
In the very first post it said for details look at the how to section,don't see a how to section,where is it ?

It's in Gojeep's profile; click on the username in any of his posts to get the link to his homepage.

Gawd, i just realised this thread is nearly three years old.

LETNER said:
In the very first post it said for details look at the how to section,don't see a how to section,where is it ?

Sorry mate, but back then they would allow a signature but dont any more unless a member. My site is www.go.jeep-xj.info

This mod will work on 97+ but just your check engine light will come on for 50 key on off cycles each time like it does with the awshifting unit too. No one yet has found a way around it but it is only the light so you could always not worry about it or put some tape over it. ;)

Bryan C. said:
The TCM is still present on all AW4 equipped XJs. The wiring is similar and the trans and TCM didn"t change with OBDII. The only difference is that the PCM is more sensitive to the signals coming from the TCM and will set a code if they can't communicate over the bus. I have a OBDII 96 XJ and I have wanted to do this mod too. Maybe I will do some checking on my own for this mod. I will keep you updated if I find anything out.

Bryan

The AW4 changed in 97. A front input shaft speed sensor was added and the rear sensor changed from 1 pulse/rev to 4 pulses/rev. The addition of the front speed sensor is how the TCU is figuring out that the tranny isn't in the commanded gear and/or the lockup solenoid isn't working.

A more complex solution would be to fake the speed sensor signals and get the TCU to do the dirty work. I wonder if ODB-II let you use the diagnostic line to command the tranny into a particular gear?

If it will just set off the light, I can handle that....
You need to jump pin 26(darkblue wire with white tracer=Ignition run/start) to pin 12(white wire= trans solenoid A).
This will turn on solenoid A.... Will I still need to power solenoid B? If I want it to stay in 2nd right?

SD

Last edited:
You might want to double check that. Solenoid 1 is on for 1st and 2nd. Solenoid 2 is off in 1st and on for 2nd. Seems like you'd want to keep solenoid 2 engaged to prevent the downshift.

So running a switch from pin 26 (dark blue wire) to pin 12 (white wire) will power solinoid 2? I don't know why I'm having such a hard time getting this.....
Shawn

Dusting Off This Thread Cause I'm Doing This!

Whoa - a blast fromthe past to be sure, but a thread relevant to me because I'm doing this mod now.

Good 'ol search function FTW! So for anyone interested, I bought one of those eBay coin holder switch panels, ran the wires to the right side of the dash and picked up a +12v from my distribution for other accessories.

I tapped the Violet/White wire at the TCU, which is behind and just left of the right dash tweeter/speaker grill. I put a voltmeter on it and ran up into second gear to verify it gets +12v

Now I'm going to try supplying it to verify it holds second while in the 1-2 slot. Found these previously posted images too.

33.gif

I did it on my '98 with a 3PDT toggle switch and a 6 position / double pole rotary switch.

The toggle enables / disables the TCM solenoid outputs and enables / disables the solenoid selection from the rotary switch
I call it the TCM / MANUAL switch

The 6 rotary switch positions are:

1 = 1st gear
2 = 2nd gear
3 = 3rd gear
4 = 3rd gear w/ TC lock
5 = 4th gear
6 = 4th gear w/ TC lock

I added a second toggle to be able to have another option of 2nd gear w/ TC lock.

Due to the way the valve body is built, you cannot have TC lock in 1st gear.

Works great, it does set a 7XX C.E. code but after switching back to TCM mode, the C.E. light goes off after a few starts / miles.

Back