• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep blowing front ujoint...

WPG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
What the hell. At least one every sunday.

So far in the last little while, 4 ujoints and 1 thing that the ujoint sits in axle side.
4.5" lift... 1998 4door 242... 31x10.5/15 tires. nothing special.
!!!1

WPG98XJ said:

So far in the last little while, 4 ujoints and 1 thing that the ujoint sits in axle side.
!!!1

I too was in youre shoes, a call to northridge4x4 fixed my woes. alloyusa

WPG98XJ said:

!!!1

U-joint or wheel joint?

U-joints die because of angle issues.

Wheel Joints die because of driver issues, and sometimes bad knuckle alignment (ball joints).

I busted my drivers side shaft 2 X before replacing the shafts with Yukons and learning how to drive.

I have never broken a driveline joint.

Ron

Buy lockers and lock the inter-axle diff down.Your most likely getting some form of axle/driveshaft wrap up.Might want you use the skinny pedal a little better too(auto or manual)?

Could this be partially or fully responsible because of my trackbar issues?

Doesn't matter how tight I do the bolts, the damn thing moves all the time and pops and bangs and bitches when turning and on bumps.

WPG98XJ said:
Could this be partially or fully responsible because of my trackbar issues?

Doesn't matter how tight I do the bolts, the damn thing moves all the time and pops and bangs and bitches when turning and on bumps.
nope, start fresh get a new inner and outer and a new joint, something is bent or tweaked

KarlVP said:
Bent axle housing?
Not to likely since everything pivots there,a bent housing usually takes on the carrier/bearings/splines.Bad unit bearings/ball joints could allow the crosshafts to "walk"!

If you've busted a ujoint in the same shafts multiple times, chances are the shafts are now junk. Get a good Ujoint (760 spicer) and put them in a set of new stock shafts that have never had a ujoint broken in them. When the u joint breaks it can stretch the ears. If the Ujoint doesn't fit tight, the shaft is junk.

You can tack weld joints into the shafts if they're only a little stretched, but new used shafts from a junk yard are cheap!

jack up the front of your seep in nutral with the e-brake on. spin or have someone spin the tire while you listen for any poping or binding. now turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and repeat. then turn to the right all the way and check again. if there is any binding, you need to adjust the bolt that limits how far your tires can turn. it is located on the knuckle its self. you may need some heat to break it lose. use red loc-tite whem you get it dialed.

mjma said:
If you've busted a ujoint in the same shafts multiple times, chances are the shafts are now junk. Get a good Ujoint (760 spicer) and put them in a set of new stock shafts that have never had a ujoint broken in them. When the u joint breaks it can stretch the ears. If the Ujoint doesn't fit tight, the shaft is junk.

You can tack weld joints into the shafts if they're only a little stretched, but new used shafts from a junk yard are cheap!

X2

what position are you in when they break???

if your tires are turned full lock, that can put enough stress on them that if you suddenly hit traction or bind in some other way it will break them.

on my rig i figured out what caused my u-joint to break. since i don't run bumpstops, i can flex so far into the wheel well that i start rubbing in the top of the fender where the inner wheel well comes down just under the battery and airbox. so when i stuff the wheel it's like i'm trying to climb backwards up my own wheel well. and then...........SNAP. so on my new XJ i'm cutting that section out and raising it so i won't rub on it anymore.

chances are you are breaking the u-joint in a similar fashion every time and just haven't really noticed the pattern yet.

oh and another one that will often times break u-joints is this.
DSC_0100.jpg

mjma said:

X2 Also. the shafts are probably egged out.

WPG98XJ said:
4 ujoints and 1 thing that the ujoint sits in axle side.

That would be the shaft itself.
Replace the shafts.

where the driveshaft meets the front axle sorry :)

maybe I really buggered something up when I broke both my front upper control arms... who knows.
What I do know is my front end atm sucks buttox and is sketchy and I don't like it.

scorpio_vette said:
what position are you in when they break???

if your tires are turned full lock, that can put enough stress on them that if you suddenly hit traction or bind in some other way it will break them.

on my rig i figured out what caused my u-joint to break. since i don't run bumpstops, i can flex so far into the wheel well that i start rubbing in the top of the fender where the inner wheel well comes down just under the battery and airbox. so when i stuff the wheel it's like i'm trying to climb backwards up my own wheel well. and then...........SNAP. so on my new XJ i'm cutting that section out and raising it so i won't rub on it anymore.

chances are you are breaking the u-joint in a similar fashion every time and just haven't really noticed the pattern yet.

oh and another one that will often times break u-joints is this.
DSC_0100.jpg

Sorry to break thread but thats a frikkin awesome picture!

bcmaxx said:
Sorry to break thread but thats a frikkin awesome picture!

and x3 on the egged-ness

WPG98XJ said:
I'll try replacing drive shaft and a new thing for the axle as well as new ujoint see if that helps...

not trying to bash, just trying to inform: i think your "thing for the axle" is the yoke... if i guessed the correct thing. i assume you mean what's on the other side of the u joint from the driveshaft and what attaches to the pinion.

Back