• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&N Air intake HELP!

tigerShark said:
i like the whistle. it almost sounds like a turbo.
I agree, but I imagine for someone who isn't expecting it, or doesnt care for it, it can be quite annoying.(Not I said the duck) My XJ has been sputtering for a couple years at specific times: after it has been running for a while, then shut off for like 20 minutes, and then run again. It will sputter until I get off the gas, then it is fine for the rest of the time im driving it. Or, when i am below quarter tank of gas and i jump on it in 2nd gear. I am guessing it may the fuel filter or pump, or just gas sloshing away from the pickup in the tank? I really dont know that much about diagnosing problems like that.

As far as the whistle goes, try rotating the spacer 90* and see if that helps. Rotate 2 more times until you find the side that works the best. Does your spacer have those directional lines on the inside of it to direct air in a spiral direction? If it does, that's likely the cause of your whistle....it's blowing air past a sensor port at a different angle, similar to blowing over the top of a soda bottle making it whistle. As far as your tranny goes, did you adjust the kickdown cable? Sounds dumb, but you did raise the linkage an inch, so if you didn't adjust it, it might be freaking out. It did it to me when I put a spacer on and adjusting the cable fixed it.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I did disconnect the battery and left it that way for a few minutes then reconnected it...it seems to be doing better. AS far as needing a tune-up, I dont think so, I do them pretty regularly and changed the fuel pump, oil, trans fluid, even the differentials less than 5000 miles ago. My TB spacer does have that threading, or grooves...but I havent tried rotating it yet, I guess I just havent had the time. I really didnt notice any increase in power (although overall I think I did get some from my air intake and flowmaster exhaust)...but I have gotten a very noticeable increase in gas-mileage. OMG, seriously, I used to have to fill up about every 4-6 days and as of today I am on my 8th day of full-throttle driving (and I tend to drive the same distances every day, etc) and I still have a hair under a half-tank!!!!!!!! I honestly wouldnt have believed it myself but I know my Jeep, and my pedal-to-the-metal driving style and I also know how often I was at the gas station and trust me, I havent been there since a week ago yesterday AND I still have a half-tank!!! Sorry for rambling now but the more I drive and not see my gas gauge move towards empty, the more I love that spacer!

What all did you do to the exhaust? Just the muffler or the entire thing? What size pipe is it now?

I replaced the catalytic converter with a high-flow one from Magnaflow (its supposed to be California-Emissions legal though, we'll see as I havent tried to pass the smog inspection yet), the Exhaust it from the cat-back, so it includes the muffler and tailpipe from the cat to the muffler and the muffler out. So basically as far as exhaust system the parts that are stock are teh headers and the downpipe, thats it. Its a 2.5" flowmaster 50. Seriously, I commute the same distance every day and at BEST a full tank would last 6 full days...I have just finished my 8th day on a full tank and i have used just over half a tank and I havent changed my over-the-speed-limit style driving habits either. Its awesome. Anyway, I see you're from Fredricksburg, I lived in DC for a while, well just outside of it in Maryland really and might be moving back this summer. Oh yeah, I got the exhaust, intake, and spacer from Rusty's Offroad products, online....they sell the system together (as well as individually) as the "XJ Performance Package" for like 260 bucks...I think it was worth the money. I guess time will tell.

Back