• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just spent 3 hours in a tow truck

hahaha, somebody owes me a quarter dammit. lol:roflmao:

John -
When you get back from Waco, give me a call. I'll get my son & we'll help you pull out whatever it is that needs replacing. We've got lots o' tools! Plus, maybe an excuse to buy more! Anyway, I've got a weird clunk in mine now (after 3 days in Death Valley of easy wheelin'). When in reverse, and only when in reverse, if I take my foot off the brake and then quickly reapply, I get a clunk that I can hear and feel, up front somewhere. Don't have to move even an inch. Anything like what you might have heard (before breakage)?

Jim

John -
When you get back from Waco, give me a call. I'll get my son & we'll help you pull out whatever it is that needs replacing. We've got lots o' tools! Plus, maybe an excuse to buy more! Anyway, I've got a weird clunk in mine now (after 3 days in Death Valley of easy wheelin'). When in reverse, and only when in reverse, if I take my foot off the brake and then quickly reapply, I get a clunk that I can hear and feel, up front somewhere. Don't have to move even an inch. Anything like what you might have heard (before breakage)?

Jim

its your transmission mount. easy to change it out with a floor jack, a block of wood, and a couple sockets. when the rubber in the middle of the mount tears the top and bottom half clunk against eachother, most often when in reverse popping the brake.

sure you do. then why not tip a tow driver after picking you up and towing you home from the bar.

Do people really do this? It always seemed like an abuse of the free tows to me.

John -

Jim

Thanks! I've busted 3 fan belts this year and cracked the shroud and I'm just at a loss for figuring this out. I have a feeling its all related.

John -

Jim
I would bet that your lower control arm bolts are loose.

Do people really do this? It always seemed like an abuse of the free tows to me.

I've had to stiff drivers a few times in the past when I've been really, really poor at the time, I always apologized though.

I've had to stiff drivers a few times in the past when I've been really, really poor at the time, I always apologized though.

I meant get a tow home from the bar.

Its cheaper than a cab if its a free tow... plus cabs in the so cal suburbs are rare.

Maybe the tranny mount has failed :dunno:

You really shouldn't be talking about mounting trannies in the public forums John, at least save it for the Den!

Other John - Did you recently change fan shrouds? In my experience a bit of rubbing is common with a new shroud, I generally let it self-clearance.

You really shouldn't be talking about mounting trannies in the public forums John, at least save it for the Den!

Other John - Did you recently change fan shrouds? In my experience a bit of rubbing is common with a new shroud, I generally let it self-clearance.

No, not recently.

I meant get a tow home from the bar.

Its cheaper than a cab if its a free tow... plus cabs in the so cal suburbs are rare.

They do happen, they call them "tipsy tows" On some big drinking holidays there have been free car tows for people calling from bars, but I haven't heard of one in while but for the most part the tow driver doesn't care if your car works, he gets paid by AAA regardless. Although I think what triple A pays for the basic tow is pretty small amount but when you work commission you take what you can get.

its your transmission mount. easy to change it out with a floor jack, a block of wood, and a couple sockets. when the rubber in the middle of the mount tears the top and bottom half clunk against eachother, most often when in reverse popping the brake.

I would bet that your lower control arm bolts are loose.

Sounds like a bet is on... Make it good; I'll let you know on Saturday. Haven't tightened the control arms in 7 months. But the trans mount is pretty oil soaked! I hadn't thought about the mount, just LCA's or u-joints. We'll see! Thanks guys!

Jim

hey John how about you weld my 8.8 tubes if I win, you figure out something i can do for you if i lose :D

my XJ made the EXACT same noise, with the exact same symptoms when the mount went bad ;)

They do happen, they call them "tipsy tows" On some big drinking holidays there have been free car tows for people calling from bars, but I haven't heard of one in while but for the most part the tow driver doesn't care if your car works, he gets paid by AAA regardless. Although I think what triple A pays for the basic tow is pretty small amount but when you work commission you take what you can get.
yeah i get paid $8.00 to get up out of bed at 0200,0300 whatever and come change your tire or tow you etc. believe me a tip is MUCH appreciated. AAA offers a tipsy tow (free tow home member or not) on the eve of every major holiday. believe it or not there are a lot of people that dont tip on those either. i still get the basic 8.00 tho atleast

Back