• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Got My First Jeep....Help a Newbie Out!

94xjva

NAXJA Forum User
I used to have a Mustang GT convertible, but that got totaled on account of someone else's carelessness (don't you hate it when that happens?). My buddy was selling his 1994 Jeep Cherokee for under a grand and thats all the money I had so I bought it. Got a couple questions for you Jeep guys that know about these trucks. Mine has 253k on it but a rebuilt motor that runs great (but when I hit the gas it sounds like a vacumme, pulls fine but makes a wierd noice sounds just like a vacumme anyone know what I am talking about?), also a buddy of mine says its got an ASIAN tranny (auto) he said those are bulletproof and can go underwater as is no work needed is that true? This one is a Country model but its only a 2 wheel drive can I still hit the trails or better stick to the concrete jungle? If I can hit trails in this thing does anyone know of any good trails around Northern Virginia, Maryland, West VA, or DC area? Also the Jeep is completly stock at this time, Thanks in advance for any advice, it is well appreciated!

that sucking sound is probably just that, you hear the intake sucking air into the engine. if your engine is quiet, and you have a cone intake it can get quite noticable. even stock it can be heard, that could be it.

2wd can still get you into/out of a few situations, but be sure to travel with a buddy no matter where your heading. better that way, you can find out what its capable of, and have somewhere there to help out if you get stuck.

NVirg area, check lower on the main forums page, scroll down till you see a "chapter" that your in/near, talk to some of them in there, they'll be sure to help you out.

not sure if the AW4 (Aisin auto tranny) is submersible from the get go, but someone will chime in to let ya know.

enjoy the site, search and do plenty of reading because there is almost no question that hasn't already been asked by someone before you. 2wd could be built into a fun pre-runner kinda rig (see the Jeep Speed area) or you can swap parts to make it 4wd (mod tech area)

either way, welcome & enjoy your stay.

Welcome to NAXJA! Its an Aisin transmission and yes they are pretty stout. YOu might think about a 4wd swap. There are a ton of threads on here about that.

I agree with wvrefugee....better off with a Penn State decal!

The best cure I know for a jeep with 253K that makes weird noises is to install a louder stereo. Good luck.

Yes, most problems can be fixed that way!!!
BTW dont say "Aisin" like "Asian", you might get a few laughs. I have always heard it pronounced like "A-sin". Im not even sure if thats right tho...

Hello there! For God's sake don't put a Virginia Tech decal anywhere on your rig and you'll be ok!! :)

:dunno: But anyway, Welcome! I don't wheel the NOVA area but there is some good wheelin' in SWVA. You can go a long ways with a rear locker and skid plates/recovery points but sooner or later you will want 4wd if you decide to wheel it hard.

P1010875.jpg

Yea 4wd is a must for anything much more than a gravel road. Snow, mud, rocks, ect. Your gonna need 4wd unless you plan on being pulled around alot. Id look into a 4x4 swap.

But dont stop that from modding your XJ, there is tonnes of street buildup info on here too, if thats the direction you want to go. Most of the guys on here are 4x4 types, but there is still lots of engine and performance tech as well.

I don't care about going on crazy rocky trails, mudding, underwater and all that. I'd be cool it just some dry dirt roads, or grass, or gravel...maybe something I can just take it easy with it and camp out. I really don't have money for mods right now...but the first thing I'd like to do is lift it and throw some huge tires on there...but for now its summer time and I just want to make the best out of what I have!!! Any ideas, advice would be helpful! I am in the NOVA area!

I used to live in NOVA (Tysons Corner) and just recently moved to the Shenandoah Valley. I can tell you as far as NOVA goes, there really isnt anywhere to wheel (legally). There is some decent stuff in the valley (mostly GW National Forest) though, definitely some trails you can tackle in 2wd without a problem. If I was home I would invite you out to go wheeling, but alas, I'm stuck in this sh*thole till December. You can start reading here though: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/lee/recreation/ohv/index.shtml

You can also poke around there and find other forest roads.

Back