• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought my first XJ - what items should I check, not knowing maintanence history?

Yeah, the pistons for the rear hatch will be a fairly easy fix, worth making. Definitely focusing on the mechanics before anything cosmetic or add ons. Though a lift sounds like a cool project :)

I do like it though. If this one ends up having too many issues, I may sell it - and take the money from it and from my pickup that I'm selling, and buy one that is in a little better shape, esp now that I know what to look for.

Good looking Jeep. I'm in the minority around here, but I really like those wheels.

Like I said hit me up if you need any help. Or scroll down to the Red River Chapter and introduce yourself there.

IslanderOffRoad - thanks. Does Red River include Dallas area? I read thru all of those groups but for most couldn't see a defined location. And like you, I think the wheels look good.

Bimmer - exactly what I was intending. That faded trim will be an easy cosmetic fix - a little paint will fix them right up!

No need to paint, you can usually restore them to close to OEM finish with just a heat gun. I'll see if I can find a thread on it.

IslanderOffRoad - thanks. Does Red River include Dallas area? I read thru all of those groups but for most couldn't see a defined location. And like you, I think the wheels look good.

Bimmer - exactly what I was intending. That faded trim will be an easy cosmetic fix - a little paint will fix them right up!

Sure does! There are a few of us in dfw, we do meet and greets on occasion

Guys, would you lend me your expertise? I'm trying to figure out what I have here, what type this is (rear differential). To me it looks like the Chrysler 8.25 - sound right? And is that good or bad? ;-)

8474014258_1ba60cb193_z.jpg

That is an 8.25 for sure.

It's way, way better than a d35, and I've run up to a 33" tire on one with a heavy right foot offroad without blowing it up. I know a bunch of people who run 33s and 35s on em.

Given that you have a late model, that's a 29 spline one, which is the better of the two 8.25s available. The shafts are slightly larger in diameter on 29 spline than the older 27 spline 8.25s.

There's absolutely no way you will blow one up with stock size tires unless you put a lot of money into the motor or don't maintain it.

Back