• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just another '99 xj

Crazykyle90

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to NAXJA, my names Kyle and I live in west central Indiana (perrysville)
I've used this forum a lot for reading into problems I've had during my build but just now joined the site.. I have a 99 xj, sits at about 3.5" lift and 36" swampers, a lot of trimming, Aussie locker front, welded rear, this jeep used to be owned by a friend who is on here (egghead), I got it from another friend who ended up with it some time after egg sold it.
ana7y7eg.jpg

5uhu9a6e.jpg

I got the jeep in a trade for a 90 xj I had, lifted 4.5", very rough, strict toy but it ran and drove, this one had a cracked block and was declared dead by the last owner. I traded jeeps with him plus $600 my way, it had a spacer in the front and drop shackle rear.
9uhevy2y.jpg

I was told the head gasket had blown and it overheated, then was filled with water to get it home, left sit all winter with water in the engine and it put a 10-11" crack in the water jacket on the side of the engine. I drug it in the garage to pull the engine, but I wanted to see the crack so I pulled the intake.. After looking it over I decided to grind it down and fix it, with jb weld! Haha and it's been like that for 2 years now, runs great! 200some thousand miles on it, been overheated bad several times and still keeps ticking along.
I wheeled it like that for the first year locally and on occasional badlands trips
a9e3uqym.jpg

ypyvebaz.jpg
vasunuba.jpg

adu8uzah.jpg

And learned the limits of it with open diffs haha
Later in the year i came across a 88 xj with a mismatched lift that came out to ALOT of lift, control arms with a flex joint in the center and a new sye for $400. I bought it, an parted it out and kept the lift for mine and ended up making about $100 after it was all said and done. The I found a set of 36" swampers for free (1 is bald but hey, this is a budget build!) ended up with this top-heavy setup
uva8e7yr.jpg

I didn't like it, so I wend searching the junkyard for a set of thunderbird springs when I found a black xj with red shocks that caught my eye.. It had a 3.5" lift! Rear axle and springs were gone but the fronts were there so I snatched em up for $30! I pulled 2 leafs out of the rear springs (entire springs are going to be replace soon) and ended up with this
py2eby5y.jpg

jygu2epu.jpg

e2etenes.jpg

I put a Aussie locker in the front at some time last year and it was the best purchase I've done for this jeep, it'll climb anything that will clear the bumper!
My next projects will be rear springs and a Taurus fan, then making the door hinges removable so I don't have to unbolt every time. And extend the bump stops a little more

Last edited:
Welcome. nice rig.

couple of us hitting the badlands in a couple weeks, info in the staging area.

Last edited:
Welcome. nice rig.

couple of us hitting the badlands in a couple weeks, info in the staging area.

Thanks! I wish I could go but I only get one weekend off a month (sucks I know) and I work that one, me and some friends are taking our rigs up May 3 though.
The company I work for may be changing our schedule so that I will have every other weekend off this spring which I'm hoping for because id love to meet up with some of you guys and see your rigs

So I picked up a Taurus fan at the boneyard today, it's the single speed off of the 97+ 3.0 cars.
2evy3ahy.jpg

To fit this in place of the clutch fan without removing the pulley that ran the clutch fan I had to re-drill the mounting holes for the radiator and move it forward 1"
ra3a2ehy.jpg

uhu3u3yn.jpg

It fits right in the stock fan shroud, but since mine and apparently every cherokee in the local junkyard is broken, the bottom is bolted in and the top is ghetto-fabbed in with zip ties.
uve5eryt.jpg

I have to wire it up tomorrow, and put the grille back in,

Welcome, I almost bought that jeep after my first one got wrecked!

Haven't posted here for a while, went in on a parts rig with a friend, off another friend. 4 cyl 5 speed, rust bucket but runs good. He needs the fuel system for his yj and i want the axles (4:10s). And part the rest out.
zyra3a5u.jpg

I was going to swap the whole front axle out and put my locker in it until I seen the lca bracket on the passenger side was tore off, so gear swap it will be, and ile swap the rear out for now until I find a 8.8 with the right gears.
The rear on the parts jeep is a 27 spline 8.25, and it will most likely end up in my buddy's yj when I find a 8.8.

So, my heep has been sitting for a year bc the jb weld motor finally gave up. Couple weeks ago me and a couple friends put a motor together out of spare parts, so its alive again. So ive started doing all the littlr thing that ive needed to do to get it ready for wheeling this spring.
42d13440d7d85250eacaa6c3895dd429.jpg

135031b30ee258125116f38eb4598b4f.jpg

Got a couple more 36s with about 75% tread for $80 so i have a matching set of swampers again (had 2 baja claws on it bc my welded rear end eats tires), mounted up a couple new lights, wired up a new efan to replace the stock one, wired it thru the stock relay on a toggle switch.
6b253b609df9d7b81824c69f90182d38.jpg

Havent posted on here for a while, wheeled alot this summer, bought a new tow rig, put together a gooseneck, and a buddy picked a new xj. His is a 98 2dr country. Was wrecked when he got it and not running (hit on the fender hard enough to bust the ecm). Fixed it, put a set of 4.5" coils, iron rock adjustable control arms, shocks and a bastard pack and new 35" bfg mud terrains, and wheeled the piss out of both of them.
f703120637bbca7767824e1e42b0703a.jpg

ef314c9797755ac383fea5cdff22f77c.jpg

8df8d6eff319ac6e5a2530e2f1662697.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Replacement motor was sketchy from the start (free from swap i was paid to do on a yj bc it made noises lol), front axle pinion bearing started to die, busted a spider gear in the rear at some point (it was welded) and it got all sloopy, and i was generally bored with it so i started tearing it down for a makeover.
65ed3b7b40584d1268fced06c37e6f39.jpg

Removed the entire drivetrain, i bought a 97 xj rustbucket for 300 with low-ish miles that runs like a top and had a screwed up tranny for the engine and some misc other parts.
b21cce1966b4c30a2f616db57b137569.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Back