• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just a quick 8.25 ?

Beej said:
Actually Brett, it is a Non-ABS unit. I only thought it was ABS because I have the lights in the dash... Beej.

It is hard for me to understand in this day and age of law suits that Chrysler would put an ABS light on the dash on a vehicle that does not have ABS. I think it would be fairly easy for a lawyer to get rich by having a client that suffered an accident because the vehicle skidded rather than having the control offered by the ABS.
In researching the Cherokee on the internet I find conflicting reports on the rear axle used one site says all 1997 models have the 8.25 axle, others say Dana 35 with ABS, and Yucca-man's site keeps open the possibility of having either axle with ABS.
Shouldn't there be visual clues on the axles and breaks to identify the axle and the presence of ABS? I cannot see a difference in the Dana 35 and 8.25 on Yucca-man's site, what am I missing? Doesn't ABS require a speed sensor somewhere near the wheel?

Shouldn't there be visual clues on the axles and breaks to identify the axle and the presence of ABS? I cannot see a difference in the Dana 35 and 8.25 on Yucca-man's site, what am I missing? Doesn't ABS require a speed sensor somewhere near the wheel?[/QUOTE]
The rear sensors are inside the drum brake assembly adjacent to a tone ring. The easiest way to tell is by lifting the rear bench and, looking on the passenger's side just behind the rear-seat crossmember, identify the wiring and electronic control unit screwed/bolted to both the rocker area and floor. If all you see is the wiring tucked up under the rear-seat crossmember's lip, you don't have ABS.

I just discovered this, too, as you can see in one of my posts above. The only other real oddity mine has is that I have the correct master cyl. for having ABS. Weird.

dothedew24_7 said:
i did like a month ago- I got a response somthing like " were sorry but our records hold no info blah blah blah" and yes i made sure i typed the vin number right- funny thing was when i search for any recalls that came back fine
That sounds like BS cause I had someone lookup the buildsheet for mine not too long ago and my current one is a 97.

Getting back to the 8.25 with ABS. AFAIK there was no general market US XJ built with that combination. There are other vehicles that have the 8.25 and ABS brakes and sometimes even disk brakes but that's where it ends. The execption might be goverment/fleet orders which get really weird stuff and the odds of one of those popping up is somewhat remote (IIRC most of those were 2wd anyways). So.... for the most part ABS is the simplest way starting point of determining the rear end, while of course the detailed visual examination being best.

highhilleer said:
Yucca-man's site keeps open the possibility of having either axle with ABS.
That comment was changed recently only because the possibility was raised here...looks like I may be changing it back to "ABS w/D35, C8.25" without" soon.

highhilleer said:
Shouldn't there be visual clues on the axles and breaks to identify the axle and the presence of ABS? I cannot see a difference in the Dana 35 and 8.25 on Yucca-man's site, what am I missing?
There are several visual cues to identify the D35 or C8.25" - first and foremost would be the Dana diamond on the D35 cover:
MainDanaLogo.jpg

The Chrysler 8.25" wont have that, instead it will have a Chrysler penta-star (five-pointed star). Of course I can't find one online with a quick Google search but will get a picture of my C8.25" cover later.

Differences -
C8.25" has a cast lip that squares off the bottom edge of the diff housing. Look at the photo and notice the bolts immediately to the left and right of the bottom center bolt. Below those two bolts you will notice two angled corners of the casting. Those are not present on the D35; it has a more rounded look to the lower side.

Dana35:
axle_d35.jpg

The D35 cover is stamped out of heavier metal than the C8.25" and the edges of the cover are straight cuts. The C8.25" cover is slightly thinner but has a 'roll' around the outer edge just outside the bolt circle. You can see the breaks in the roll at 6 and 12 o'clock on the photo below.

C8.25"
axle_825.jpg

ABS visual cues? Look for the sensor wiring in the knuckles at the front. IIRC, XJ ABS systems at the rear are in the drums. Note that not all rear ABS systems are like this, my Dodge Ram 2500 uses a tone ring on the ring gear itself.

dakotaguy1999 said:
The ABS system that is available on the XJs is a 4wheel, 4channel ABS system. I have yet to see an 8.25 XJ rear end that is equipped for a 4channel ABS system...

Submit pics if you have an XJ w/ ABS and an 8.25 rear end. :)

I'm sure my XJ has 3 channel ABS. 4 sensors, yes, but there's only one brake line going to the rear axle, which then splits the flow left to right once it reaches the axle itself. I don't know whats the big deal - why couldn't Jeep put a second line right next to the first? I guess there isn't much to gain by going to 4 channel. Perhaps some XJ's have 4 channel, but not a 00 sport.

Back