• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard upgrades

What I meant was use the mounts for your year swapped into the newer seat. So you're using the mounts that fit your XJ. Say my '93 mounts swapped into '98 seats and put into my '93.
From what I've read I thought the earlier XJ had a different mounting than the later models.

Oh my good buddy told me that you can run ZJ or even WJ pitman arm and it's 1.5" Longer...!!!

BTW getting the tierod off the drag link is the biggest pain in the ASS!!

To expound just a little on the ZJ rear disc conversion, they will fit an 8.25" axle as well after simply clearancing the caliper brackets for the larger diameter axle tubes. Just did it! :D
How does the master cyl. handle this conversion?

Last edited:
Oh my good buddy told me that you can run ZJ or even WJ pitman arm and it's 1.5" Longer...!!!

BTW getting the tierod off the drag link is the biggest pain in the ASS!!

i have a zj pitman arm on my xj. it does serve as a "drop pitman arm." i believe the wj pitman arm is more shallow, or not as much drop as our stock one.

to remove the tie rod or drag link you could use a two arm pitman arm/ tie rod end puller. DONT USE A PICKLE FORK!! at least if you want to reuse the end- it will tear the boot of the end. or you could take the castle nut off, turn it arround so that the castle end is pointing to the joint not the end of the threads to where it is just a little above the stud. then whack with a hammer. works well for me- i use either way

How does the master cyl. handle this conversion?

handles it fine. may of us here have done the ZJ rear disk upgrade, myself included. some have also swapped in the zj proportioning valve as well and we are pleased. some have not done the p-valve and they like it too. some say to get the full effect you should do the disk brakes, zj prop valve, and dual diafram booster. i love my rear disks

i have a zj pitman arm on my xj. it does serve as a "drop pitman arm." i believe the wj pitman arm is more shallow, or not as much drop as our stock one.

to remove the tie rod or drag link you could use a two arm pitman arm/ tie rod end puller. DONT USE A PICKLE FORK!! at least if you want to reuse the end- it will tear the boot of the end. or you could take the castle nut off, turn it arround so that the castle end is pointing to the joint not the end of the threads to where it is just a little above the stud. then whack with a hammer. works well for me- i use either way

handles it fine. may of us here have done the ZJ rear disk upgrade, myself included. some have also swapped in the zj proportioning valve as well and we are pleased. some have not done the p-valve and they like it too. some say to get the full effect you should do the disk brakes, zj prop valve, and dual diafram booster. i love my rear disks

Thanks, it's on the books for my daughters XJ.

you can use the front drive shaft off a 4X4 ranger for the rear drive shaft once you do a sye. i used one off a 96 bolted right up

Alright good to know I have a few pullers that I can try to use my good buddy sugested that I use a BFH! The two jeeps that I tried to get the tierod off of I used a pickle fork and ripped the boots

new boots are like three bucks

Lognas91XJ said:
I also wanted to know if you anyone has put the 96+ Rear Speaker Bar in the Older XJ's?

Yep, it's easy. Hardest part was tapping into the speaker wires where they go into the hatch.

Alright good to know I have a few pullers that I can try to use my good buddy sugested that I use a BFH! The two jeeps that I tried to get the tierod off of I used a pickle fork and ripped the boots

use 2 hammers and hit the sides at the same time. Works great.

you can use the front drive shaft off a 4X4 ranger for the rear drive shaft once you do a sye. i used one off a 96 bolted right up
But is the front DS off a ranger longer or shorter than the front DS off of a AW4 XJ? I have an AX-15 so once I do my SYE I will probably need just about the longest JY front that fits (I heard that a V8 ZJ front DS is long enough to run on the rear of an AX-15 w/ 4.5" lift... but if the ranger is a touch longer that the ZJ even, it may be good.)

But is the front DS off a ranger longer or shorter than the front DS off of a AW4 XJ? I have an AX-15 so once I do my SYE I will probably need just about the longest JY front that fits (I heard that a V8 ZJ front DS is long enough to run on the rear of an AX-15 w/ 4.5" lift... but if the ranger is a touch longer that the ZJ even, it may be good.)

not sure of the length, but an exploror front shaft also works.

Back