• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard thread

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
After my search for a hatch this week I thought it might be an interesting feature for us to have a state by state review of yards. I was not sure where to post this idea, but figured the BOD and most MWC members would see it here. I also thought that other members might find this idea interesting.
My thought is creating subthreads for each state in the MWC for people to post their reviews of service, cost, inventory, conditions at pick and pulls and private yards in their states. I also imagined that people could post up things they might have seen, much like the craigslist thread...

So to kick it off,

I was at Gibsons Iron and Metal on 9/17/12. Called and told them I would be driving an hour and a half to visit them. Could they tell me if they had any 97+? "yeah we have a bunch". Arived and found no maps to the locations of vehicle. After spending an hour walking the truck and suv section we found numerous 95 and down, but not a single 97 up. :firedevil I did see two manche with good cabs but bad beds. Several (3-6) Early model FSJ with D44's and 3-4 70's scouts. Service was next to who gives a f%$k.
Wife suggested we check Oshkosh... Arrived at Wallys Pick and Pull a Half our later. We were given a map of where xj's of our vintage might be found. Ten minutes later we were pulling a hatch and several other parts ( I the hatch the missus the sensor and such we were looking for). Inventory included many 96- and a handfull of 97 up. Two of the 96- had been lifted, one with a rusted out skyjacker kit, the other a mix kit. Service was excellent, the paths appeared to be graded daily or weekly. Lots of weeds between cars, but not the usual broken parts of wtf laying everywhere. Ended up picking a full hatch (minus closing latch) some trim panels and the switchpanel to control the defrost for the new hatch, and the lift struts for $100.:wierd:

Last edited:
Hoop's on Middle Juda Road, East of Monroe on WI 81, south on Ball's Mills Road, right where it goes from four lane to two lane.

I have gotten a lot of goodies from them.

Grandpa John's in Green Bay on Velp has a handful of 91-96 guys in there. They generally have a good variety of XJs but they have been lacking lately. There are two CJs in there right now. One 7 and one 5. There's also a gutted to hell TJ, a few ZJs and 1 or 2 WJs.

I got my 8.8 pulled for $135, so they have decent prices. Maybe not the best, but still alright. They have up to date inventory with which they can give you a manifest of the vehicles you're looking for. They also offer $5 back (gift card good for in house) on each $50 spent. So if you spend money at the yard, it's like an automatic 10% off. They also have raffles once in a while. I won a $40 gift card from them, so it really has paid for me to go there.

I'd recommend at least looking if you're in the GB area and need something. The worst it will cost is gas to get to the door and have them look up what you're in need of. If you had a bit of a drive to get here, hit me up and we can get a beer. I don't know if that's a pro or a con. :D

Remington's Auto Salvage in Eau Claire, Wi has been the place for me... Light on the Cherokee stuff, but I got my 8.8 for $125. Biggest pro for them is they have 'Online Chat' where you can actually talk to a real person to find the part you're looking for, buy, and have it shipped! I paid $50 for a Durango Steering Gear shipped to me, not bad I think...

Midwest Auto in Vincennes, IN specializes in all things Jeep. They have dozens of XJ/TJ/ZJ/WJs in the lot. They can be kind of high on prices, and they pull the parts, but if you need a stock Jeep item, they probably have it. www.midwestjeeps.com

Liberty Pull-a-part Evansville, IN. Stock rotates daily, they don't know what they have. Yard is laid out nicely with Car, Truck and SUV sections. Cheap prices. $1 entry fee.

Not all the yards I go to or have gone to, but the ones that would probably have what you're looking for in Cherokee stuff.

Newville Auto Salvage in Edgerton, WI - You can walk the yard and it's actually a nice place to walk around. You need to ask ahead of time if you can pull something little and you NEED to write down the stock number of the vehicle you pulled it off of. If you want something big, walk the yard, write down the stock number, and go talk to the pretty lady at the desk.

LKQ in Rockford, IL - Pick n Pull (Usually have a lot of Cherokees in stock). I call before I go to check prices and then I call again before I pull what I want to verify prices. Their desk people don't know crap about cars, so don't expect them to know what you've pulled if it's beyond obvious. $2 to get in.

B&H Auto in Rockford, IL - I'm not sure if they usually let you walk the yard or if I get to walk the yard because I've bought so much from him. Either way, he's a cool guy and they do have Cherokees. They pull for you usually.

LKQ in Chicago, IL - Big and dirty pick n pull. Better staff than in Rockford. I usually ask about prices before I go in. $2 entry fee.

U-Pull-It in Chicago Heights, IL - I've been here only once. It's a good size yard and the staff was knowledgeable. They did haggle with me on the prices, but can't say if that's the norm.

Victory Auto Wreckers in Bensenville, IL - Hit or miss. Super muddy when it's wet... sometimes muddy when it's dry. Bring your BOOTS, they usually won't let you in without them.

Kansas City area, I will get out and check them out and do a report. There are a couple over near Liberty Missouri that when I was driving 4x4 F 250's that had a bunch of wrecked Wranglers but I dont remember seeing any XJ's. I know that somewhere around here there has to be the mother load of yuppie soccer mom spawn haulers that have been abused to the boneyard.

I occasionally go to Schmidts outside of Middleton.

"pick a part"? Yes
"They Pick Part"? Sure, for a price
Map? No
Polite? No necessarily
Will lift vehicle if you ask? Sometimes

These folks get lots of parking violation vehicles. Some are shit beyond belief, and some are not so bad.

They also run their own parts shops from parts they pull from the yard, so depending on what mood you catch them in, you could get a reasonable deal, or you could get jacked.

Oh, and they probably don't even know if they have the part you are looking for, so I have stopped asking.

Still, it's close to home, and I have been going there for almost 35 years. I think I just like to poke around inside junk cars and imagine them as if they were new ;)

Back