• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard Lift Coils?

Yea spendin money isnt a issue..i mean its one of my toys/ daily driver sometimes....those shackles give about what 2inches..?

shortest hole = 1.5" lift, tallest hole equals 2.5" lift... this is assuming a straight up and down shackle angle

at 45° from ground you will lift 0.75" and 1.25" respectively

at 67.5° you will gain about 1.125" and 1.875"

see the pattern?

Last edited:
yea I see it...damn I looked around for t-bird coils in las cruces,nm and el paso,tx....and I couldnt find any....will dodge dakota leaf springs work on an xj? Do u know?

Old Thread, true. However, useful information ... I had hoped. Perhaps someone can clarify some things for me.
Discussion, and photo documentation was given relative to using TBird Coils, F150, and comparison to OE. So, I dug into specs for OE replacement coils on Moog.
CC780 is OE XJ 4x4
CC778 is OE XJ 4x2
CC782 is OE XJ HD
CC872 is V6 TBird
F150 ... won't even bother cuz it's pretty OverKill

Now following are specs to review:

CC780 Overall Length 18.22 Comp. Length 15.00 Coil Diam. 4.04 Spring Rate 126 Load 388
CC778 Overall Length 17.70 Comp. Length 15.00 Coil Diam. 4.04 Spring Rate 127 Load 339
CC782 Overall Length 18.40 Comp. Length 15.00 Coil Diam. 4.04 Spring Rate 146 Load 503
CC872 Overall Length 16.88 Comp. Length 14.00 Coil Diam. 3.67 Spring Rate 290 Load 804

The SPECS alone, contradict the pics early in this thread, so I am further ... Confused. I do put a lot of weight in SEEING the comparison by photo; but, the specs ....... ??

Now, I'm New to ALL of this; but, just digesting the numbers alone, it seems that it would be impossible for the TBird Coils to yield a 3" Lift. Even with a much higher Load Rating@ 804, they are STILL Shorter ... to a point that I don't understand how 3" would 'grow' out of them.

Can someone help me understand ? My goal is to get [new, not jy] coils that will contribute to a 3in. Lift. RockAuto has reasonable enough prices for OE grade Moog. Don't have the scratch for aftermarket, and prefer to not use old jy coils, if it can be helped.

I'm also trying to digest the same info regarding leafs. My OE leafs are SHOT, and I don't have the budget for aftermarket, don't want [old] jy leafs to add to my already shot leafs. So, I am trying to find the closest Leafs that will support a reasonable lift of 3in. and fit my XJ.

Any discussion [that is Constructive] will be Most Appreciated.

Back