• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard find (maybe?)

willi2ds

NAXJA Forum User
FYI.... Saw a early cherokee with a 4cyl and auto at LKQ on Federal. Didn't crawl underneath to look at the tag but I thought these had the factory 4.56's

very few -- most 4.10, some 3.73... the 4.56 exists, but its an oddity...

4cyl + auto = 4:56

However...... The rear will be a D35 and front will be a disconnect D30. So, nothing real desirable about any of it.

I can say with absolute certainty that I have pulled 4.10 and 3.73 geared D30s (yes disconnect) from late 80's 4cyl/auto XJs...

Sorry..... I gotta quit posting in the wee hours....

I should have clarified that the equation above also should include 2wd in it. 4:56 was never a 4x4 gear ratio for XJs.

From what I've seen..... The 2wd 4:56 axle is more commonly found in Comanches so it'd be pretty rare to find it in an XJ.

And anything prior to '91 with a 4cyl / 4:10 ratio will be a disco D30.

However...... The rear will be a D35 and front will be a disconnect D30. So, nothing real desirable about any of it.
If it were a D-44, we'd be reading a for sale thread, or a build thread. :D

I think a D44 with 4:56's found behind a 4cyl/auto would indeed be a unicorn among Jeeps...... Which would require all of us loyal servants of the XJ/MJ to don ceremonial loincloths and dance around it chanting forum related jibberish to honor its having been found.

......or something like that. :D

very few -- most 4.10, some 3.73... the 4.56 exists, but its an oddity...
Confirmed.

PARTSDOG439a.jpg

I went yard hopping today, had a few more finds.

The coils, discos, LCAs (stock uppers), rear leafs, and shocks are still there, untouched. Some asshat busted the shite out of the T-case to get the SYE, but left the custom rear shaft because it had a dent. A re-tube and re-balance is about 1/3 the cost of a new shaft. Some people just have to do things the hard way.
PARTSDOG441a.jpg

Last edited:
Here ya go Troy!

It has an I-6, 2wd, limited slip. What gears do you think it has?

PARTSDOG435a.jpg

PARTSDOG438a.jpg

PARTSDOG434a.jpg

I almost called you for an intervention. I walked in circles for five minutes, just thinking about calling you... :D

Sorry..... I gotta quit posting in the wee hours....

I should have clarified that the equation above also should include 2wd in it. 4:56 was never a 4x4 gear ratio for XJs.

From what I've seen..... The 2wd 4:56 axle is more commonly found in Comanches so it'd be pretty rare to find it in an XJ.

And anything prior to '91 with a 4cyl / 4:10 ratio will be a disco D30.
friend of mine saw two 4cyl/auto/4x4s in a private yard in Mass with 4.56s. Checked the gear tooth counts.

Also, my parts catalog says you're wrong and that it was available in 4x4, or at least d30 gearsets and geared housings were available in 4.56 from the factory.

Part numbers:
84-86 catalog
8350 3567 1986MY only, with system sentry, vac disconnect, tagged 8353003497 (old AMC part number) - full geared dana 30 housing
8350 3424 4.56 gear ratio dana 30 R&P, inc. ring gear bolts, pinion bearings, pinion shims, seals, nut, etc

87-90 catalog
8350 3567 1978-89MY, vac disconnect, tagged 89 53 003 497 (old AMC part number) - full geared dana 30 housing
5252 968 1990MY, non disconnect, tagged 5300 5579 (this is a Chrysler style 8 digit part number, not sure why they'd make it one part number and tag it another, but that's what they did) - full geared dana 30 housing
8350 3424 4.56 gear ratio dana 30 R&P, inc. ring gear bolts, pinion bearings, pinion shims, seals, nut, etc

I saw a 4cyl auto in a local yard around a year ago, but unfortunately was working 5 days a week in NYC and didn't have the time to pull its front axle. By the time I got back the next weekend it was crushed already.

Also, one of the SEC guys (forget his username) said he got an 84-86 (not sure what year in that range) with a 4cyl 5 speed that had 4.56s. I'm not sure if he was wrong, or if someone had swapped them in, or if someone special ordered them. If it was an 84 or an 85 he was either wrong or they were swapped in, but I can believe a special order if it was an 86.

Ok apparently I really don't know crap. :looney:

However, those RE leaf packs google to be for a 3.5" kit.....:thumbup:

And Mike should know better than to NOT call me about MJ stuff......:twak: I'm really hoping its a metric ton......

Last edited:
And Mike should know better than to NOT call me about MJ stuff......:twak: I'm really hoping its a metric ton......
The whole truck looks pretty tired, the tilt column acts funny. How would I tell it is a Metric Ton truck?

It looks like there will be a for sale thread spinning off from this one. It is ironic that the guy who started the thread has a 'manche.

Troy, you never did give a guess for the gear ratio. :D

Back