• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk yard turbo?

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking about a junk yard turbo. Any ideas? Size, donor vehicle? Pros cons. Just looking for a little more top end on the way to the trail.

check out turbomustangs.com, that site is all about DIY turbos of all makes. I don't think it has a Jeep section just yet, but it should help you with making a decision on what j/y turbo to run.

Neil,what motor and trans setup do you have ? also what kind of wheeling do you mainly do? i'm well versed in turbos so if you have a question i more than likely can answer it.

I'm contemplating a turbo setup on my 84 2.5 as of late or toying with the idea of a motor swap....

Your post seems a bit vague to me. I dont know how much you know, but it's more then just adding a turbo. I'm neck deep in turboing a 240sx, and it'll be another $6000 before that car sees the road again.

Generally you'll want new pistons and rings, you'll need a custom exhaust manifold, intercooler, you need to know if your stock ECU can handle the change, theres a lot more then just adding a turbo.

But if your looking for donor cars, Saab's came with a decent T25 I think, some of the Volvos, and the Eclipse/Talon turbo models.

Sorry about being vague. I was looking to harvest all I needed except the exaust manafold from the donor vehicle. From what I understand the Renex system will handle turbocharging and supercharging with no problems. Thats why I was asking about a donor vehicle. I was looking for a vehicle that had no computer interface with the turbo controls. I was also looking for one that would be large enough to provide a fairly low boost. I'm not looking to run anything above 6 lbs. I did not mention reringing, the forged pistions and a valve job as that's the easy part. Any information on the specific things to look out for when looking for a junk yard turbo would be helpful.

Thanks,
Neil

I would go with the turbo unit off a G.M. 3.8 motor, since it is fairly close in size to the 4.0, and you can find the motors as carbed, no computer. I found an 83 Buick century WAGON with this setup. I am going to rebuild the turbo, or maybe use it as a core trade-in, since it is showing signs of oil contamination.
As for the S-charger, yeah, you get less hassle, less heat, AND less power for the trouble, since the 'charger is spun off the engine crankshaft, not exhaust driven like a turbo.

There was a pretty recent discussion on Pirate about this. A guy put a Garett T-xxx from a Volvo into his YJs 2.5. No other mods and I think 6 lbs of boost. He said is spooled up really fast at about 1500. I'll try to dig up the thread.

I think you could put a complete toyota supra motor in a xj, I think but Im not 100% sure that they have the ax15 in them. You would have one major wiring headache but when it was done I think it would be pretty cool.

They have the AW4 in auto models, this is true, but the Ax-15, I dunno. Now, the AW4 has a removable bellhousing so the asian (toyota) tranny can be bolted to a Jeep with AMC pattern engines. I'm wondering if the rear side of the AW4 bellhousing also bolts to the AX-15 (same manufacturer). Anyone know if a Toyota drivetrain can be adapted to a Jeep? Maybe a question for the toyota forums. Something I have thought about too, but have no intention of doing. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the Toyota has enough torque at LOW rpms for XJ use.

Back