• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk Yard axle shafts

jro780

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready for a trip next week. I locked my HP30 with an OX and moved to 4.56 running 33 KM2s. I want to take a spare set of shafts for the Dana 30. I have the HP w/ ABS. I'm not running ABS since I swapped out my rear axle for an 8.8. Is there any difference between ABS and non-ABS shafts besides the tone ring? The non-ABS are more prevalent and cheaper.

Thanks!

Non-ABS shafts could be a 260 version a 297/760 sized joint so be careful there. Other than that they are the same besides the tone ring.

The 297 or 760 (same size and dimensions) joint is the larger and stronger cousin of the 260.
The 760 is the better and newer version of the 297. Buy a genuine Spicer joint.

Your Jeep came with ABS but you have it disabled? You probably have 760 size shafts already, you probably should put the newer better joints in though. What year XJ? I have heard of some older years with the separately forged and pressed on "square shoulder" U-joint yokes breaking more easily than the newer style one-piece shafts but have not verified this myself.

I have a 99 with ABS. I just found some JY shafts out of a 2000 XJ w/o ABS for $40 a pop. I assume the 2000 w/o ABS still has the 760 spicers?

It has 297 joints from the factory.

Get Spicer 760s. They are the same size, but manufactured using a different process that make them stronger.

To make the whole shaft assembly stronger, grind the yokes down for full circle c-clips. Do a search on here for that, it's been covered a bunch.

Back