• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk in the Trunk

AnzaJeep said:
Here is what mine looks like during my dd; I keep my high lift strapped under the back seat (with my cb and cb antenna)
xj42908016.jpg

xj42908019.jpg
Is that just ABS witha cap for the hose? I like that idea, but I dont have OBA yet, drag.
and how much weight can the rack hold, I noticed it was an expansion support, I think. . . How it it held up onthe left side?

IllianaXJ said:
I re-worked my cargo area today. I decided with gas almost $4/gal I need to up MPGs as much as possible by reducing weight. That and it's unnecessary to keep ~150 lbs of crap in all the time when the Jeep sees pavement 90% of the time.

It went from this (steel Tuffy drawer full o' tools):

HPIM0952.jpg

To this. I remove everything except the CO2 and hi-lift until wheeling trips. Saves weight and wear & tear on the springs. Everything gets strapped down tightly of course.

HPIM1168.jpg

As an added bonus, it is all hidden by the cargo cover when the hatch is closed.

HPIM1169.jpg
You shed any pounds today? I have cleaned up a bit too, I'm carrying a more select amount of the tools, and have ditched the crates (they are usually kept in the garage anyway). Also, I leave the HiLift at home when driving around town, but if I intend to go offroad or to a recovery, I bring it along. Nice CB mic location too

Kyle Horvath said:
Is that just ABS witha cap for the hose? I like that idea, but I dont have OBA yet, drag.
and how much weight can the rack hold, I noticed it was an expansion support, I think. . . How it it held up onthe left side?

Yep, it is just 3" ABS with a cap on one end and drain fitting on the other end with a hole cut out (the frist time i set it up the whole hose coil kept sliding out the bottom and getting tangled).

The tube works perfect for the coiled hose (I got the hose at home depot for $20). I had the CO2 tank in my old YJ and use to pull it out and drag it around to each tire; boy I wish I had figured this one out sooner. The best part is you can mount the tube anywhere and pointing in any direction, you could probably even mount it under the jeep by the frame rail, just cap it at both ends.

The rack is just sitting on expansion bars right now (pinching between the spare tire and the body on the passenger side), but it held up great when I took it out off roading a couple weeks ago; it probably had about 30# on it and didn't budge.

Back