• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

June photo assignment...Macro

john, did you get some new tires or did you zoom in on someone else's?

john, did you get some new tires or did you zoom in on someone else's?

Finally got some new tires. Hopefully these will last me 5 years like the Xterrains did.

Those are the only pics I have of them, so far :D

Finally got some new tires. Hopefully these will last me 5 years like the Xterrains did.

Those are the only pics I have of them, so far :D

good choice, what size?

*edit* I should read sigs

I dig macro photography for its ability to let me see things I couldn't with the naked eye... like the bouquet contained within a single zinnia bloom:
orig.jpg

A little wider view-
orig.jpg

The "fur" on the underside of a White Peacock butterfly
orig.jpg

Butterfly proboscis at rest...
orig.jpg

... and in action
orig.jpg

No DSLR photos here, I don't have a macro lens and most point-n-shoots have surprisingly good macro modes. My old Olympus is showing its age though, I found a bunch of dead pixels when looking at 100% views of these photos. :(

These were from a day in the butterfly pavilion at the Albuquerque Botanical Gardens. The point-n-shoot camera was a lot easier to shove in the bugs' faces, especially when they were not right in front of me. Autofocus was sloooooow and cranky though.

Just for grins, I slapped my old 1.5x doubler on my Canon 450D DSLR behind a 17-70 Sigma lens last night and shot these images.

Setup consists of a handful of spider gears, tripod, kitchen table, blinds open to let in natural lighting, black book for back drop and a small piece of diamond plate used as a reflector to direct the natural lighting. Exposures vary from 5-15 seconds in AV mode.

I really dig the blue cast that post-sunset lighting provides.

There is something about the lighting, texture and composition that stirs a primal instinct inside of me.......like a surge of adrenaline, spinning tires, the whine of a blower, etc.....:dunno:

#5 is my new desktop image, enjoy.

IMG_3499-1.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

Last edited:
Some from the flower beds.....no doubler on these.

IMG_3438-1.jpg

Bees have amazing detail, but rarely hold still long enough to catch it.

IMG_3460.jpg

Poppy beginning to bloom.....more to come from this one.
IMG_3469-1.jpg

Magpie feather
IMG_3468.jpg

Was playing with my roommates 40D this evening. Its alright. I'm pretty sure my Fuji S700 has a lot better macro than her Canon...

40D

coinage.jpg

S700

coinage2.jpg

To get real quality macro shots, you need a macro specific lens....there's a lot of ways to tweak and manipulate with combo hardware, but results will vary.

Last edited:
Looks like something from the Men in Black movies. How big is it really?

I shot a few more the other day...

DSCF3321.jpg

DSCF3322.jpg

DSCF3334.jpg

these were taken with my cell phone (LG enV). not quite up to par for this thread but impressive for a cellular device... and they haven't been doctored at all.

0608091329.jpg

and i found this little guy while i was mowing the lawn today
0616091154a.jpg

P6190356.jpg

P6190355.jpg

JEEP.jpg

Just playing around while down in LA.

_DSC0063.jpg

_DSC0025.jpg

Couple more jeep pics...

DSCF3369.jpg

DSCF3373.jpg