• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JP magazine says 1997 cherokees are crap

JP is good entertainment.. but don't believe most of what they say. Their tech articles constantly have wrong details in them. Latest was in their 5.0L 505 build. They said that the actual valve lift changed due to changing from the stock rocker ration of 1.5 to 1.6. Except, stock is 1.6.

Take anything from the media...newspapers, magazines, tv, radio, etc. with a grain of salt these days...as a popular tv show in the 90's would say...'trust no one'.

I have a 97 and the wiring drawings for the fuse box dont match up real well. Had to pull the dome lights because they were turning on by themselves May not be a 97 only issue possibly the back switch. I have been all over Death, Saline, Johnson Valleys. Tow the jet skis out to the river, lakes, ocean and the old 97 keeps on going. Daily driver 65 miles a day.

I like JP Mag, it is about Jeeps.

That said, yes, they seriously need to add some proof readers and fact checkers. Sometimes their write ups on tech are nonsensical.

I just bought a 97 and recently had the entire interior out. With everything out, I looked at all the interior wiring, and everything looked fine.

Everything seems to be working as intended and I've got no complaints.

Forget what you read and enjoy your Jeep.

Just purchased a 98 Limited. Great ride, doesn't feel like the same as the 90 and 92 I have. Still feels like a Jeep!

I was cruising Rock Auto for parts cost, wow, inexpensive parts! What a great deal Jeeps are!

yeah I know! I really dont get why people want to drive around such shit cars that have overly complicated parts like trans-axles and independent suspensions. Im not talking about nice cars, but like old hondas and other small sedans. Late model XJ's are everywhere for about 3k.

Personally, If I could have ANY XJ it would be a '97 country! White, Tan Interior and silver snowflakes!

yeah I know! I really dont get why people want to drive around such shit cars that have overly complicated parts like trans-axles and independent suspensions.

Maybe because these parts hardly ever break. FWD gets a lot better mileage. If on a RWD, a transaxle allows 50-50 weight distribution. Also, IFS and IRS are not that complicated, like at all. Not only that, but they're way more advanced on the road than solid axles.

Maybe because these parts hardly ever break. FWD gets a lot better mileage. If on a RWD, a transaxle allows 50-50 weight distribution. Also, IFS and IRS are not that complicated, like at all. Not only that, but they're way more advanced on the road than solid axles.

Lol, yeah I like my XJ but let's not get crazy man.

If you've got a commute there are plenty of good reasons to pick up a reliable, efficient, nice driving FWD car.
Hell there's a big difference in ride quality between my lifted XJ and my stock IFS Ford Ranger.

First off, my 98' has wiring problems too, if you wanna call them that. My window switches don't work sometimes, and the gages go to zero when it's cold out, all I have to do is flick the wiper lever and it is all fine. This is caused from dust and air getting into the electrical connections. This is why most Jeep owners will tell you to buy a XJ with manual everything. I deal with it because it's sure as hell better than a new car payment, and it's nothing that a little electrical grease won't fix. Plus 150,000 miles ain't sh!t for these 4.0L's. They'll last you atleast 300,000 if you keep up on the regular maintenence on em. Why would you go and spoil a good mopar by throwing a crappy GM product in it?? Yes GM's engines have good reliability, just like Mopar's, but doesn't everyone agree that the vehicle around that GM engine falls apart like no other brand? Well I do since I was dumb enough to own 4 Trans Am's. My 71' Dodge dart with 200,000 miles on it runs and drives better than ANY old GM. Guarunteed!!!

Last edited:
I like JP magazine it has some good articles, but its kinda like reading the internet. Some of the info is good, and some is full of crap. I would take everything they say with a grain of salt. Its just one person's side of the story. Sure they have done some research to back it up, but they are completely WRONG when they say all '97's are bad. Thats impossible to prove. Also with the '99 head issue. The went far enough to single out '99s in the bad category, but missed out on the part that only SOME of them have the coil ignition. Thats pretty misleading if you ask me, and could be giving potential XJ buyers wrong information. I don't see any problems with the RENIX cherokees at all. Sure they might be a little different to work on, and have different systems, but that doesn't mean you should avoid them at all costs.

I grew up with the '87 my dad had, first year for the 4.0L. He drove that jeep for 16 years only needing to fix some oil leaks, a radiator, waterpump, and some hoses. Thats after 180K miles. I used to own a '90 limited and it gave me absolutely no trouble. My 2000 wasn't maintained very well and has some issues, but its still reliable. The '00-'01 head problem I can agree with, that is definitely a manufacturing problem, but it seems between this article and the one on "true power gains for the 4.0L" or whatever it was called, they are turning into a bunch of wackos.

Please chime in if you have a 1997 that has wiring problems as described.

If this is the worst the article's author can come up with on the 97 XJ, that's not saying much. The 97 XJ is generally very reliable.

Enjoy your vehicle.
All 97 have the problem described. reading comprehension is a must. it took them several tries to get the wiring harness correct. please read it again.

"there were up to three wiring harness revisions in 1997. No matter who you talk to, everyone agrees that unless you are leaving it completely alone, you might want to avoid a '97. We've been in an out of most of these, and it's clear that it took Chrysler until late 1997 to figure out the wiring, make it neat, orderly, and uniform from one month to the next"

I was installing alarms and remote starters into these things in 97 if you are looking to change anything from factory spec they are no fun to work on. are they reliable sure as reliable as any other XJ.

Ive had my 97 XJ 2 Door 4.0AW4 D30 Chry8.25 5inch lift since 02. It had bout 38k on it then and now has 150k on it. No problems other than the usual XJ cracked header. I love mine and wont part with it EVER! :)

And if they want to get really technical about cross-over years, look at '96 'Classic" models. Made very late in 1996, well past the time that '97 should be on the market. Ours came with the later wiper arms, and '97 injectors. The one we have has every conceivable option they could throw on an XJ, Up-Country, all the goodies! I guess they were cleaning out the parts bins.

Back