• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jon (xjtrailrider) and lacrosse

hadfield4wd

NAXJA Forum User
So some of you know Jon and I know each other. He lives about 1/2 mile from me. Our kids are friends and go to the same school. I like to bust on Jon a little however I would also like to publically thank him. He does spend alot of time coaching. My son is on his lacrosse team and Jon really puts a huge effort into it. Thanks Jon.

PS Nice job on getting called on a technical tonight. I dub thee an honorary Yankee.

So some of you know Jon and I know each other. He lives about 1/2 mile from me. Our kids are friends and go to the same school. I like to bust on Jon a little however I would also like to publically thank him. He does spend alot of time coaching. My son is on his lacrosse team and Jon really puts a huge effort into it. Thanks Jon.

PS Nice job on getting called on a technical tonight. I dub thee an honorary Yankee.

props coming from an attack-man who has been thrown out of a few, even while injured on the sideline.

Its a lot of work coaching a youth team, anyone who puts in the time for very little recognition is A-OK in my book

Thanks Matt and Doug! Its really my pleasure coaching these young men! They are great kids that just happen to be damn good athletes!

That was my first penalty since I began coaching youth football, baseball and now lacrosse, since 1993!

I'm a laid back coach but when the game is not being called "safely" then I'm going to let it rip! That's what refs are for, to control the safety of the game not the outcome!

Notice they called a good game after that haha!

My son was the "in home" player so he had to sit for a minute for the old man. He needed a rest anyway!

It takes a good man to not only be a couch for the boys but a role model as well. I played middie and moved to attack. Love the sport.

It takes a good man to not only be a couch for the boys but a role model as well. I played middie and moved to attack. Love the sport.

We didn't have Lacrosse around here when i grew up or i would have played it. Its the perfect sport IMHO. I like coaching Lax more than football and its a sport that any kid of any size and speed can play.

I coach the attack-men. I have a crew of 8 really good attackers. We have 27 kids on the team!

We have 7 D-men and 12 middies. Most teams we play are lucky to have 15 or so kids. We just wear them out with all of those kids being fresh all the time.

Right now we are 7-4 and my hopes are to finish the season 10-6.

I'm a laid back coach but when the game is not being called "safely" then I'm going to let it rip! That's what refs are for, to control the safety of the game not the outcome!

That's why I got thrown out.... Our middie got hurt and went down clutching his ankle and howling in pain but the ref wouldn't stop play.... So I got three inches from his face and let him have it, it was only when hr blew the whistle to throw me out our team trainer could get on the field....

Kudos to you good sir!

That's why I got thrown out.... Our middie got hurt and went down clutching his ankle and howling in pain but the ref wouldn't stop play.... So I got three inches from his face and let him have it, it was only when hr blew the whistle to throw me out our team trainer could get on the field....

Yes, just like in football, even if a player other than the ball carrier goes down the play doesn't stop until the whistle is blown. In lacrosse its even more complex because an injury does not "normally" produce a whistle. Only penalties, goals or time outs. If the player is down in the middle of a scrum they will blow the play dead for safeties sake but if the player is down out of harms way the play continues.

I helped coach a U13 game tonight and our goalie went down with a hamstring and was laying in the crease, the coach noticed as the ball changed possession and was coming into our defensive half of the field. He couldn't call time out until we regained possession and then we could help the goalie out and swap goalies.

When the native indians played the game of "lacrosse" as the French settlers nick-named it( La=The-Crosse=Stick/lacrosse=the stick ), they played until only one man was left standing alive.

Lacrosse is the oldest team sport in North America!

It really depends on the ref and the league. I took a slash right between the helmet and shoulder pads and crumpled like a rag doll... I was out cold but I'm told I had both team trainers and coaches on me before I hit the ground.

I'd like to see a ref throw a trainer out of the game, especially with that possible rich lawsuit friendly parent in the stands.

Come to think of it, I think I had more injuries from lacrosse than anything else I've done. Still my favorite sport.

It really depends on the ref and the league. I took a slash right between the helmet and shoulder pads and crumpled like a rag doll... I was out cold but I'm told I had both team trainers and coaches on me before I hit the ground.

I'd like to see a ref throw a trainer out of the game, especially with that possible rich lawsuit friendly parent in the stands.

Come to think of it, I think I had more injuries from lacrosse than anything else I've done. Still my favorite sport.

The younger the kids the better job they do of controlling the safety of the game. But as Matt can tell you, we have had some really bad officiating this year and we use a independent officiating company! Weve been lucky, no injuries yet. We have inflicted a few though! My team is made up of about 75% football players, 20% hockey players and 5% soccer players.

I forgot to mention that Hadfields kid is the fastest middie i have. His defensive rides are truly amazing to watch. He can catch and then run circles around the average middie. I need to get his 40 time and compare it to my other middies.

I don't think I'll tell his mother this.

But as Matt can tell you, we have had some really bad officiating this year and we use a independent officiating company!

I'm still trying to figure out the rules. I can't tell sometimes then when it's inconsistent it's worse for me to figure out what's going on.

I forgot to mention that Hadfields kid is the fastest middie i have. His defensive rides are truly amazing to watch. He can catch and then run circles around the average middie. I need to get his 40 time and compare it to my other middies.

Don't know his 40 time. I'm sure Mark can beat him, but that may be it. His mile time is sub 7 minutes. He can do 4 miles in 30 minutes. And a hilly 5k in 25:24. On the flat track he can run 3 miles in 21 minutes. It's his confidence that kills him.

Did I mention he's the smallest kid on the team? Now if we can keep him from the slashing penalties we'll be OK.

It is fun to watch him running down kids whacking them with the stick though. I'll try to get some video and also of Jons kid getting one of his many goals.

Did I mention he's the smallest kid on the team? Now if we can keep him from the slashing penalties we'll be OK.

It is fun to watch him running down kids whacking them with the stick though. I'll try to get some video and also of Jons kid getting one of his many goals.

I like the aggressive play, I say dish it out until the flag flies then you know how far to push it! Each ref is different. As for Marc being faster, maybe, but not in acceleration, Elijah can stand on the gas!

I joke with the coaches and say if Elijah had a knife in his hands instead of a stick, all of the other players would look like curly fries!

Our local officiating was always terrible but i didn't get hot with them, they were all college kids i played club ball with and i knew they weren't getting anything for their time, and playing with those guys was how i learned the game. But when something happened i didnt agree with we would talk about it, i could usually cite the rule, i always looked at the officiating guidelines for sports i played on....the game i got thrown out of was an away game ;)

75% football players,

our team was the opposite, we didn't attract a lot of football players because the football coaches drilled it into their heads that wrestling would make them better football players and told them not to play other sports.

seriously whats more scary on a highschool football level? a player whose been wrestling all spring or a defensive tackle with the agility of a defenseman and the endurance of a middie..... what a friggin awesome football player he would be at that level.

.....but only one saw it my way, and he ended up being the fastest 220# highschool tackle i'd seen in a long time

our team was the opposite, we didn't attract a lot of football players because the football coaches drilled it into their heads that wrestling would make them better football players and told them not to play other sports.

seriously whats more scary on a highschool football level? a player whose been wrestling all spring or a defensive tackle with the agility of a defenseman and the endurance of a middie..... what a friggin awesome football player he would be at that level.

.....but only one saw it my way, and he ended up being the fastest 220# highschool tackle i'd seen in a long time

Football players make great lax players which in turn makes them better football players. If you have a kid that wants to wrestle, put them on face off! They will get plenty of wrestling there! Our FOGO's are taught to "hip" the opposing man out while our quick middies fly in for the scoop. It works most of the time.

Doug we run a 2-2-2 or a 2-3-1 and the kids actually are starting to understand both offenses and when to run them.

I could talk about lacrosse 24/7 I like it so much. Watching the kids improve with each game is amazing.

My personal goal is to coach a kid that will eventually play in the MLL. I have already coached one kid in football that played in the super bowl this year as a rookie and started. Danny Aiken, long snapper for the NE Patriots.

I coached Danny in 1993 on the CSRF Rebels. It was Danny's first year of football (peewee) and I was his position coach(O-line). He was our center and middle linebacker. You could tell then he was going places!

There is not many things that are more rewarding than being a small part of that success!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Aiken

That's something to be proud of.... Every coach no matter how short a time spent has a role in building a good player....

I'm hoping to have the chance to coach later in life.... When an injury took me out of contact sports for good I found a little bit of solace helping coaches run practices and carrying out manager duties (equipment repair etc. I used to he able to string a new stick over halftime) its a rewarding feeling knowing I could help out.

Too bad you won't be at the crawl.... I bet some good lacrosse stories would come out over some campfire beers

Last edited:
I didn't know what lacrosse was until I was 25(Kidding, but I don't know the nearest school that has a lacrosse team in Indiana)......Props to you for being a coach/role model for these young guys.

We won another one today 10-4, we are now 8-4. We had 8 different kids score 10 goals today! Now we need some of those kids that haven't scored to do so tomorrow.

Matt, I thought Elijah was going to get one today, tomorrow will be his day!

I'm on my way to disney. So I won't see it. However it was nice watching him run away from people yesterday. Go the ball and left those 3 other middies flat footed. Also layed out the one kid behidhthe goal bigger than him. I hope he gets a goal this season. He'll be excited.

Back