• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JL Audio Vantage Box

pajeepman

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a used JL audio vantage stealth box off ebay. It looks mint! I was wondering what type of speaker any of you people are running in yours. I realize this is only gonna pertain to a few as it seems like there are not that many of they boxes out there. I just found out that it has .6 cubic feet of air so that will help me out.
I have some NOS 10" MTX Blue Thunders(about 16 years old), but I think they needed alot of air space. I also have some 10" Denon subs in a isobaric box. I think they need a decent amount of air also. I kinda feel like putting that box in for "show", it would literally blur my vision with only about 70 watts to each pair of speakers. It kicked ass. I have a pair of NOS 8" OZ speakers, I am thining about building a space ring and putting 1 in but i think they called for .25 cubic feet of space. I mount use my old LA sound, ADS, or audison amp(yeah, all my stuff is old school). Do the "new" amps got hot like the old amps did, wondering about heat build up under the rear seat?

Re: JL audio stealth box

well i have a kicker 400w mono under my seat and ive never had a problem with heat even with my kid sitting on top of it also youre lucky to find one of those boxes, ive been looking for 2 years

Re: JL audio stealth box

I'm running a similar box with a JL 10W1, I like how it sounds but I'm not a fan of huge bass.

I'm running a RF 300 watt amp under the rear seat no problem.

I have seen them referred to as Stealth boxes. Guy at JL said it is actually a Vantage, like you said, and the carpet in the difference. I almost wish it was carpeted so it is less noticeable from outside, the tinted windows help though. I gotta put better speakers in and figure out what amp and speakers I want to use, I have a ton of old school amps, most are probably too big to go under the back seat, I was thinking about under the front seat, I just gotta take some measurements, I'm not in a huge hurry to get it in, I wasn't planning on getting one but one came up on ebay and I figured I might as well bid on it, got it for under $150 to my door in mint condition, sweeet!!!!!:listenmus

150 is a steal for those things. If you look at some of the stealth boxes they put out now most are priced around 600 and some run upwards of 1k. Granted they are amazing sounding and custom made for the vehicle. Good luck with this. I know they were made to run a 10w3 dunno if that helps at all. I think you can still look up the specs for them on their site. They were rated about 250-300w RMS.

I have seen them referred to as Stealth boxes. Guy at JL said it is actually a Vantage, like you said, and the carpet in the difference. I almost wish it was carpeted so it is less noticeable from outside, the tinted windows help though. I gotta put better speakers in and figure out what amp and speakers I want to use, I have a ton of old school amps, most are probably too big to go under the back seat, I was thinking about under the front seat, I just gotta take some measurements, I'm not in a huge hurry to get it in, I wasn't planning on getting one but one came up on ebay and I figured I might as well bid on it, got it for under $150 to my door in mint condition, sweeet!!!!!:listenmus

You could always have your boxed painted to match the interior... like mine.
It will definitely make it look stealthier (as long as you stay away from white Infinity subs lol)
subs.jpg

BTW. nice pick-up. I paid about the same for mine 4 years ago (gotta love ebay)

What old school amps do you have. Love the old RF's, US amps pre '99, old zed audio stuff, old ppi, etc... Nothing I have heard today compares to pre '99 stuff. Its all cheap china made junk nowadays. Class d amps dont get that hot and they are smaller but the sound quality sucks.

What old school amps do you have. Love the old RF's, US amps pre '99, old zed audio stuff, old ppi, etc... Nothing I have heard today compares to pre '99 stuff. Its all cheap china made junk nowadays. Class d amps dont get that hot and they are smaller but the sound quality sucks.

I have an ADS (can't remember the model)8x50: Couple of kenwoods, Audison, brand new PPI sedone 6x50, I can't remember what else.

definately will have a grill, I don't know why anyone wouldn't.

I was never able to find a grill that fit and wasn't an ugly POS. Generally the grill is a touch bigger than the sub it covers, as far as the DIA goes. Well JL didn't design that box to use one, so there is no extra space. It fits the sub and thats it. You could probably get one of those cheap looking grate grills and screw it to the front of the box, but I never would.

Last edited:
definately will have a grill, I don't know why anyone wouldn't.
I'm using a spacer ring for my sub (it' a deeper sub), so most grills won't work.
Infinity never made a grill for my sub.
The last (decent looking) aftermarket grill I tried rattled too much.
Car theft's low in my town.

I put the box in just to see how it would look....SWEET!:guitar: I can't wait to get it up and running now.

Back