• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JET Chips?

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever use the Stage 1 or Stage 2 chips from them?

I'm only Running a K&N Drop in, w/ part of the box cut out, and a Dynomax CatBack.

How do you use them?

I have a Stage 2 for my 96 I use while wheeling. I get a slightly different sound and a little more response from the throttle on hillclimbs while wheeling.

I'm also running it the way you're supposed to...with the cooler t-stat and premium fuel. I also have a FlowKooler waterpump that helps things out. K&N drop-in and Flowmaster exhaust, but nothing more.

So do you get some more pull when you mash it? I mean, if I get the stage 2 I'll get a different T-stat, but is it a significant amount for me to actually run premium fuel?

I have the stage 2 in my 96 as well along with the FIPK, Borla setup, tb, 180*, prem fuel and it's a noticeable difference(5-10hp) but not as noticeable as the stage 2 in my 94 w/ same mods was(might just be the obd2). Anyhow it's worth it for $75-100 used(and they can be found for this), but not $250 new.

If you do a search of threads for the jet chip, you'll find a list longer than your arm. I'm sure that if you conducted a poll, the minority will give a positive answer while the majority will say it's a waste of money.

alright, case closed. not buying it.

ty20404 said:
So do you get some more pull when you mash it? I mean, if I get the stage 2 I'll get a different T-stat, but is it a significant amount for me to actually run premium fuel?

I don't 'mash' anything with a 4:1 t-case. :) I get a slightly different sound and more grunt on the 'low' end of things...but then the thing came with the rig so I'm not complaining. I wouldn't buy one new, but it's worth the few bucks for used.

But yeah, if you're not willing to spend the $$ on anything other than regular fuel, don't do it. Raped or not, you've gotta pay to play. Start doing these mods and you'll have to do it for timing purposes or fuel mileage sucks.

I've got one, only noticable difference is at WOT and it is a huge difference there, Can't say I've noticed it anywhere else.

180* thermostat,
TB spacer
K&N type filter
Banks Header
3" exhaust from header back
dual e-fans
99+ intake conversion
ford injectors
port matched head
Jet stage 2

There is honestly a huge difference when I pull the chip out, but as I said, it is only at WOT.

I got one for free from my local shop (turbo and a custom fuel controller in his XJ now, doesn't need it) not sure if it's a stage 1 or 2, but I love the thing, passing on the highway is so much easier and long climbs don't leave the engine bogging at the top

well worth the Free.99 :D

TheArsonist21 said:
Nothing is worth the money to have to use premium fuel.. You are going to get raped so bad using 93 octane.

Really?? You sure about that?!?! Have you actually done the math? I use 93 octane and it only costs me like $4 more at the pump than regular and I get no less than 330 miles on a tank of premium where I used to get no more than 280-290 on a tank of regular.

Ok, so let's see....I go AT LEAST 330 miles.....

$4 more at the pump, that's say, for the sake of argument, an extra gallon and a half of regular I could have bought.

So, I normally buy 17 gallons give or take about a half gallon. Let's say 17 gallons of 93 cost me $55 and I can go 330 miles minimum before I need to fill up.

Now...with 18.5 gallons of regular (extra gallon and a half came from money I saved by not using premium) cost me $55.50 and I can go (using the same math for MPG as above) 359 miles......BUT that only leaves me with a half a gallon of reserve in my tank...where as the 330 miles on 93 octane leaves me with 2-3 gallons.....YOU do the math and tell me how I am getting raped at the pump by using premium.

Oh, and one last thing....no more spark knock at any RPM range now that I've been running premium where when I first got the Jeep 40k miles ago and ran regular, I had spark knock at low rpm's with a heavy load on the engine.

One thing to note, Many of the major manufacturers of performance chips are under Fedaral investigation for tampering with emisions settings. I was asking the owner of a fuel injection tuneing and system moding shop and he said all the chip really does is increace the fuel input and turn off the "Check Engine" light that is suposed to come on when the fuel mixture is too rich.
For the next person consitering a performance chip I also suggest spending the money on a better mod. intake, exhaust, tires and such.
~Alex

Back