• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeeps that Kill

The issue is a poorly designed shift lever that is not intuitive to use. They over complicated the shift lever. Do a search on YouTube for Jeep shift lever. The engineers that designed this wore idiots. The engineers that allowed it to be implemented are idiots. They did not take into account to human interaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FYtLLJ8nII

Chrysler isn't alone - my brother's BMW is just as idiotic. Anytime you need an automatically deploying parking brake to catch the shift miscues - you need a better shifter.

All the transmissions with this style shifter are full electronic control. The solution should be simple. Driver's door open below, say 5mph for any reason, ABS/traction control system engage, stop the vehicle and the transmission shifts itself into park. Literally every car for sale in orth America could do this with a software upgrade.

To the OP, you want a car that kills? Try getting one of those old Jeep XJs with a lift and big tires. Those things will try to kill you every chance they get on the freeway. :eyes:

Jesus. I just watched the video. ^^^ That is retarded.

+1

My automatics are GM. I don't think you can even fully turn off the ignition and remove the key if you don't first put the shifter in park.

A bunch of design folks deserve to have their hindquarters hung out to dry and upper management deserves a good roll under the bus a time or three.

We had a Benz GL350 for a week while Holly's car was in the shop. It had a stalk that you tapped, when you weren't tapping it (up for R, down for D) and a button for park. The stalk would return to center when you weren't touching it. It was annoying and non-intuitive (and I hit reverse once when i meant to hit Park, I caught it before I could run down a busload of nuns, though).

I agree with xcm. Shifters should have some level of standardization. I want a shifter whose position I can visually see (without relying on indicator lights).

Back