• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeeping today with USFS Staff.

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
I, and many others spent the day on the trail at Cedro Peak- Sandia Ranger District, Cibola National Forest. The weather was absolutely perfect, low 60's, mostly sunny (that will change by Wed.).

This "building bridges" run (no, we did not build any actual bridges) was organized by Jeff from www.envy4x4.com . The turn-out was better than expected, and included Barbie Jeeps, a Ford Explorer, a Land Rover, a Toyota or two, a Commander, and two XJ's.

This trail is not really difficult, nor technical, but is an enjoyable route. You can expect to see mountain bikers, an occasional motorcycle, hikers, and even horses. We encountered all of the above today, and everybody was quite respectful or each other. We shared the land the way it was meant to be shared. A great feeling.

At our lunch stop, the Ranger filled us in on projects in the district. The included forest fuels management, controlled burns, changes in the area (related to 4x4 trails), etc...

The area used to be "open unless marked closed", but is now "closed unless marked open". Barricades have been put up on off-shoot trails, some of them have been destroyed, others have been respected. We traveled the authorized trail, and the USFS took GPS coordinates or problem areas (unauthorized trails, illegal wood cutting, etc..).

The route we traveled today is THE route for the trail. Signage, barricades, etc... will be used to help people stay on the trail. They are in the "education" phase right now, hoping to let people know where they can and cannot go. IIRC, the "enforcement" period will begin in May of 2011. That is when tickets will be written for going where you are not supposed to be.

It was a good day, all-in-all. We got some face time with the district Ranger and staff. They got to go on the entire trail and see it first hand. They also got to wheel with a responsible group of wheelers. IMHO, and from talking 1 on 1 with the Ranger, it was a positive experience.

And now a few pics:
DSCN0303.jpg

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0319.jpg

DSCN0318.jpg

DSCN0317.jpg

Nice post Glen!

Your point about the new FS rules are a bit more confusing than the old "Signed, Bermed, Or Gated" rules is spot on!

The NFS website for your region should have your MVUM in PDF form.

Ron, you are correct. This area used to be wide open to travel. Routes/areas that were used years ago are off limits now. Only the one route is authorized for 4x4 travel.

The USFS people gave all of us the updated maps of the "Motor Vehicle Use" of the area. Date of the map is 30 Sept, 2010. That map, and what we did today will make up the "official" trail, as I understand it.

They also talked quite a bit about volunteers being needed to help with "education". I will be looking in to getting involved in my area... and maybe some NAXJA people can contact their rangers and get involved, if they are not already doing so.

Nice post Glen!

Your point about the new FS rules are a bit more confusing than the old "Signed, Bermed, Or Gated" rules is spot on!

The NFS website for your region should have your MVUM in PDF form.

It's always good to have a positive relationship with the Forest Service (or BLM, or whoever controls the land). After awhile they realize we're not all a bunch of idiots, plus it's somehow more fun to trim bushes and trees for the FS than your front yard.

:thumbup:

PS - You seem to enjoy having a Jeep again. :cheers:

Sounds like a fun day and a great way to expose the rangers to a group of responsible wheelers. :thumbup:

That yellow TJ was growing wings! :D Looks like you guys had a good group of all breeds out there, Wish i was wheeling right now rather than sitting at work on a Sunday!

Back