• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Starting. Is this normal?

mattlago

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, I have a 1996 4.0 with 135k miles on it. It runs strong, no issues at all.

However, when I start it, it seems to take a bit. Probably 5 cranks and then pops off. This only happens when it has been sitting for awhile. Meaning if I stop, go in somewhere for a half hour and come back, it will pop off quicker.

It doesnt seem to matter if it is cold or warm out, same thing.

I changed plugs, air cleaner and oil (just as normal maintenance). Anything else I should look at changing or is this just kind of how they are?

Could be the fuel check valve isn't working and you are loosing fuel pressure.

Try this: turn the key to ON, wait 5 seconds, turn OFF, then repeat twice more, then try to start. If this seems to reduce the symptoms, then it is the check valve.

You can buy a 3/8" fuel check valve on eBay for $14 + $2.50 s/h from seller jbass195, then just cut the rubber fuel line between the tank and fuel filter, two worm clamps and you are in business.

Ya know, now that I am thinking about it more, I had to replace the manifold and part of that process said I needed to bleed the fuel. When I hit the valve it just dripped out instead of spraying from pressure like I thought it would. However, then when I went to emission test it, they said my fuel cap didnt pass so I bought a new one. At that point I assumed it was a lack of pressure from that. However, could the fuel check valve have caused that along with this issue?

Yes, it sounds related.

Last edited:
Wow, I love kicking around these forums when my Jeep is off the road... I think in the past few days just from reading stuff I have found out how to solve like 5 problems. Now all I have to do is finish getting it on the road so I can rationalize spending the 100$ or so for all these little fixes. heh.

Why did people never post questions related to exact issues I seemed to be having while my Jeep was the DD? I just assumed the long cranking was normal :dunno: Always had it, and mine was shorter than my buddies so I considered myself lucky.

Why did people never post questions related to exact issues I seemed to be having while my Jeep was the DD? I just assumed the long cranking was normal :dunno: Always had it, and mine was shorter than my buddies so I considered myself lucky.

The hard starting questions comes up quite a bit on these forums. In fact, I think Joe Peters has a Microsoft Word file with a list of common questions with answers that he can copy and paste responses from ;)

The hard starting questions comes up quite a bit on these forums. In fact, I think Joe Peters has a Microsoft Word file with a list of common questions with answers that he can copy and paste responses from ;)

Well that is actually one of the only questions I had already seen asked... It was more the others that I have recently had answered. :D I never actually cared enough about hard starting to read the recent posts though. Years ago I read one thread where someone said that they all have to turn over for a bit before starting, and also mentioned turning it to the "on" position a few times to avoid it... and I figured it was always just the same answer being repeated every time the question came up. :roll:

Oh, and it would be much more intense if he had a script written which has responses for all the common questions... every 10 minutes it logs in and searches the site and replies to common questions with the responses he has it programmed with

I use Open Office 3.1--it is free! :cheers:

For those of us Blessed with Renix XJs a long crank time is just part of the game. The Renix has to "wind up" to 300 rpm before the signal from the CPS/CKP will trigger the ECU.

That is not to say that we don't also have the problem with the fuel, but more often than not a new HD battery, new starter, or new/upgraded battery cables will "wind up" the engine quicker and alleviate the long cranking.

Last edited:
Check valves are like everyone has said a common xj problem. I have the same problem but i am a lazy ass hole so i am okay with waiting a bit for it to start.

When you do fix it post the part numbas, maybe be some motivation. Thanks

Check valves are like everyone has said a common xj problem. I have the same problem but i am a lazy ass hole so i am okay with waiting a bit for it to start.

When you do fix it post the part numbas, maybe be some motivation. Thanks

Ebay seller jbass195 sells 3/8" fuel check valves for $14 + $2.50 s/h; I've used them on two personal and a number of customers' vehicles with zero problems.

Back