• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep outriggers

mitsumotors said:
i was just thinking that it would be nice to drive around on 31's for your day to day driving and then when you want to hit the mud you just pull over, quickly lift the jeep and throw on the 34's. it would be convenient for guys that also use their rigs as their daily drivers. maybe it wouldn't work with hydraulics because of the wait but come on.... its not that riduculous of an idea as some of you guys are making it out to be.

Ok..so you carry around a set of 34" tires all the time? :)
Cool idea maybe? Just not practical

IllianaXJ said:
It's been done :D

Speed%20Racer%20%2811%29.gif
love it. I'm sure they have the blue prints on the net some where.

Rev Den said:
Paging XJGuy.

I knew somebody would remember that...

As far as a tire quick-change, you'd be better off carrying an aluminum floor jack. The racers have em that lift to the pumpkin in one stroke, and lift the tires on the second.

And way cheaper that a $2k "lightning lift"

Robert

law.74 said:
four air cylinders tall enough to do the job of even a stock XJ are very expensive. If you persist in this endeavor consider one cylinder with receivers at each corner. Sure would be cheaper, lighter etc. than four air or hydraulic rams.

I'll stick with my hi-lift. Now setting up "receivers" for a hi-lift might be an interesting way to decrease the chance of the jack popping out or in to sheet metal due to uneven terrain.
I agree , 4 receavers and one ram that is moveable would be the closest thing to reality. but still youve got to get your hands dirty sometime.

mitsumotors said:
i was just thinking that it would be nice to drive around on 31's for your day to day driving and then when you want to hit the mud you just pull over, quickly lift the jeep and throw on the 34's. it would be convenient for guys that also use their rigs as their daily drivers. maybe it wouldn't work with hydraulics because of the wait but come on.... its not that riduculous of an idea as some of you guys are making it out to be.

You swapping gears while you've got it in the air? I guess you could gear to a middle ground, but you'd be sacrificing mileage and offroad performance.

Its not ridiculous by any means, but the cost, effort, and weight would all limit the real world applications.

If I was changing tires that often and was going to spend the money on hydraulic lifting equipment...It'd be a lift in my garage, not attached to the XJ.

mitsumotors said:
its not that riduculous of an idea as some of you guys are making it out to be.

it's not really all that ridiculous as they make it out to be. but you have to look at it this way. In all honesty, it would be more of a "cool factor". kinda like onboard with a 50foot air real build into the vehicle.

hell you don't "need" onboard air. a little pump for air, and a lug wrench is really all you need. BUT.............it's so much "cooler" and "nicer" to be able to air up in a minute or less, and to be able to use an impact on the trail to take your lug nuts on/off.

Yes, i have thought about that idea after actually seeing it on a baja racer once. he had 1 or 2 rams on the side (can't remember. was a while ago) and could lift the vehicle heigh enough that you could almost sit under it.

not they were VERY LONG rams, and i also don't know if they were permanantly attached, or if it was removable and he just had some type of attachment points with quick disconnect fittings for it.

but as of now, until somebody finds a cost efficients and light weight way to do it, it's nothing more than a "cool idea". personally i would like it, because it would be cool, it would make it easier, i have seen others get the beat bloody by their high lifts in rainy/muddy situations, i have seen vehicles side-shift on high lifts and come crashing down, and most importantly...........cuz i'm LAZY and cool brings LAZY. LOL

Try carring a bottle jack. Put on rock, and under axle tube. Lets you lift on any terrain. No shifting of vehicle. It also works great when your stuck on something under body, like the lca mount on the body. It has saved me more than once or twice.

what about electric actuators. i think that could be simpler since you dont neeed pumps and hoses etc. what about some type of screw jack system like a house jack inside a cylinder?

Back