• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep eating radiators

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok so we put two different radiators in the 98. The last one was an all al one and now it's got a hole. Looks as though the fan clutch is hitting them somehow. Anyone ever have this problem? I was thinking it might be the engine or transmission mounts letting the drive train move forward. Thoughts?

Motor mounts? trans mount will also let the motor move around if you have OEM mounts

Yea that is what I was thinking. I'll check it later today but thought while I was at work I'd see what you guys thought.

I thought we put brand new motor mounts on it when we swapped the engine in?

Trans mount we did not replace, i'd look there.

I thought we put brand new motor mounts on it when we swapped the engine in?

Trans mount we did not replace, i'd look there.

Yea that is what LG and I thought. IDK why or how it's happening but both radiators have circles and holes where the fan is hitting them.

HD fan clutch with the "horns" or regular fan clutch?
Are the pins in the holes at bottom and the little studs on top in the correct position ?

I'd still suspect transmission mount. When mine went bad the fan was eating away at the fan shroud and dangerously close to the radiator...

HD fan clutch with the "horns" or regular fan clutch?
Are the pins in the holes at bottom and the little studs on top in the correct position ?

Radiator does nto move by hand. It seems to be in there right. As far as I know this is a regular fan clutch.

I'd still suspect transmission mount. When mine went bad the fan was eating away at the fan shroud and dangerously close to the radiator...

Looked at the engine mounts and they look fine on inspection. Have not had a chance to check the transmission mount yet.

I second this. DrMoab's drivetrain moved forward on him several inches due to a bad trans mount, as I recall. He said it nicked the rad but noticed it before it could do more damage.

I second this. DrMoab's drivetrain moved forward on him several inches due to a bad trans mount, as I recall. He said it nicked the rad but noticed it before it could do more damage.

This is exactly what has happened to 2 radiators. Thought it was odd that the nick was in a circle that looked like the fan clutch but there is a good half inch between the two. The mount is cheap I might just change it out and repair this radiator and see what happens.

Back