• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep cranks but wont fire?

so i have put 100 miles on the jeep after getting everything back together. however i still need to hit the gas to fire it up and it has to be warmed up to idle. I'm sitting at about 650rpms when i come to a stop when engine is at 195 degrees.

I'm starting to think that maybe it has to weak of spark. when i put a bolt in the ignition coil and grounded it to the engine there was a orange/yellow spark. i read Tim say is it blue? could that possibly be cause the problem?

Yes, good spark should be blue-ish in color. Replace the coil.
IIRC, ~700rpm is what spec is for Auto in "drive" So 650 is not bad. Also, clean/replace your IAC and test your vehicle again after.

replaced the tps today drove it for 50 miles. when i stop at a light it still sits at 650 rpm, which does not charge the battery that's why I'm worried. but when i place it in park it idles at 700 rpm which is a lot better. i also still have to hit the gas to get it to start. I'm going to put some more miles on in hopes the pcm will relearn everything. if not i am going to be replacing the iac. i cleaned it 3 times already though. just wanted to update and look for more ideas before i work on it more tomorrow. wondering why it idled higher in park but when i put it in drive the rpms drop?

just wanted to update cause i hate threads with no ending.

today i threw a new idle air control in it and it fired right up. even neg 10 degrees outside.

i didnt have to hit the gas and its idling right at 750rpm

beautiful lets hope this is it for the time being cause i am ready for spring and wheeling trips.

Back