• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jack's Pass February 18th (Sunday)

RRT said:
Hey Trace you really let me down, man! NO action shots in the XJ? Looks like you guys had a blast, wish I could have been there!! Not to impressed with Ian's art work thoug, if his name was Albert Einstein or George Washingtom I would have to give the guy a 6 pack!! HA HA! Next time try the alphabet.

THis batch of pics is from the front of the line. While they were sitting in those chairs we were winching and pulling in the back. Their half hour break ended when we caught up... our break was five minutes while Matt blazed forward... I had some fun in that pool/washout that you see Matt playing in and Ian signed but there were no cameras there.

Guys, that was one of the best snow runs I've ever been on. GREAT time. The second half of the pics that Joe posted were actually ones I took n my camera, but Joe was nice enough to host them. I'll probably do a trip report one of these days soon, so stay tuned.

While I would normally say that a pcture of my rig is always the best, Joe outdid me here:

CIMG1203.jpg

Well, at least my Jeep's the launching platform. I'd say you've got some competition, Jamezzz. :D

-----Matt-----

ert01 said:
None of you guys run chains in the winter? They make a stupid amount of difference up here...
We find they just dig our the snow and make it impossible for vehicles equipped with smaller tires. Honestly, with my tires aired down to 4 psi, I only had to be pulled out twice, IIRC. Most of those pics of me buried I drove out of.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
CIMG1203.jpg

Well, at least my Jeep's the launching platform. I'd say you've got some competition, Jamezzz. :D

-----Matt-----

That my friends is one impressive jump. :yelclap:

Jamez.

ert01 said:
None of you guys run chains in the winter? They make a stupid amount of difference up here...

It totally depends on the situation, rigs, and snow conditions. MOST of the snow run's we have done recently (last 3 years or so) we have not used chains at all (with the exception of a couple of specific situations). In past years, I have used chains quite a bit.

The difference for me is that the recent stuff we have been doing is completely vigin snow, no tracks of previous vehicles, no compacted snow. With the type of snow we get most of the time, all we need is LOTS of flotation (the larger and wider the tire the better). It is arguable if lockers do or do not make a significant difference.

In compacted snow, or trails that are snow covered but have some compacted snow below them, Chains can make a huge difference. But for most of what we do, they just dig, and the more you dig the more digging you have to do to get unstuck;)

Having said that, most of us still carry at least 1 set of chains (some carry 2) just in case we need them.

Michael

ert01 said:

IXNAXJ was the trail breaker and those two pulls had more to do with having fun with the throttle :laugh3: than with snow conditions.
Also my buddy grew up in Northern Alberta and says the snow down here is a totally different story than what you get to play in up there. We ran a neighboring road about a month ago and had an ice sheet over the top of three feet of unpackable powder. This time the snow packed well and buildup under the steering was a major factor for the rigs with smaller tires.

(I do carry a full set of heavy chains but never came close to thinking about using them. :link1: :link1: :link1: :link1: :link1: :link1: :link1: )

Yeah I figured you might have different snow. Chains help here even in loose snow because you dig to the ground underneath the snow and just tractor through. Lockers on the front and rear and a full set of chains will let you just tractor through hood deep snow if you have enough weight. Airing down is still a necessity up here...

Just curious though.

Just wanted to post up a thank you to Michael for organizing the event. I had a great time, enjoyed the company, and I am looking forward to my next time out.

Ian, at least your education has you spelling when engaged in territorial pissing... sorry that you didn't get the capitolization bit...

IXNAYXJ said:
Oh, by the way, this was en route to the metting spot. Seattle to Index in 57 minutes:

CIMG1156.jpg

-----Matt-----

So that was about when we saw you rounding the corner right?
icon10.gif

That jump is sick!

Nice job on completing the run this time Matt. Hot damn, look at all that snow! Down here in Houston it's 75 freaking degrees out! Sickening...

Back