• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's Hot

Thats good to hear Eric! Your baby doing good?

The heat here has been pretty bad, luckly my new 2nd job is in a air conditioned laboratory! First mechanic job I ever had that MAKES me where slacks and a button up shirt! They keep it 75 degrees in there... cold!

Capt. Nemo said:
We just got our power back tonight. Three days without it was a little rough on the baby, but we managed. Turns out the transformer blew across the street. The PG&E crew working on the transformer was from Calistoga, and I guess they have crews up here all the way from Bakersfield.

The first transformer they put in was bad, and when they went back to the yard to get another, they said that they took the last one. They said that there were over 500 transformers that went out in San Jose, and that they only had 300 in stock.

So if I could retract my statement in my other post, PG&E didn't drop the ball and the crew they had working on our transformer was a great group of guys. The equipment just couldn't take the heat.

Our thermostat is now down to 80 degrees. 80 never felt so good...

Overall, there were about 1800 transformers that failed throughout the PG&E system due to the heat. They just overloaded from the demand on them, and from the extreme heat. One of the problems was getting more transformers from suppliers, because of the high demands for transformer from the rest of the heat stricken country. This problem was just not a California problem...

A one point, PG&E was also taking transformers recently installed in subdivisions (though not yet occupied) to be able to replace the ones that failed. They will be replaced once the replacement transformers come in...

BTW... I been working for PG&E for over 27 years. Thank you for understanding our situation. :peace:

Ivan said:
Overall, there were about 1800 transformers that failed throughout the PG&E system due to the heat. They just overloaded from the demand on them, and from the extreme heat. One of the problems was getting more transformers from suppliers, because of the high demands for transformer from the rest of the heat stricken country. This problem was just not a California problem...

A one point, PG&E was also taking transformers recently installed in subdivisions (though not yet occupied) to be able to replace the ones that failed. They will be replaced once the replacement transformers come in...

BTW... I been working for PG&E for over 27 years. Thank you for understanding our situation. :peace:

Yugh - I don't envy you!

It's not the line-animals I have issue with - y'all are the ones actually doing the work. It's the decision-makers up the chain with whom I have issues. They don't seem to think ahead, they certainly don't seem to plan ahead, and the rates keep going up! Probably the biggest issue I have with PG&E is that the rates keep climbing, there's no real end in sight, and I'm just not making any more money to make up for it (granted, it's not just PG&E's rates going up, but that's what we're talking about now. Don't get me started on the gasoline companies, rent increases, and other fun stuff - it just about all comes back to "everything goes up but the money I make," and "why are we paying more for less?")

Upper management, in just about any endeavour, should probably be the lowest-paid members of any outfit, unless and until they start actually thinking farther forward than the ends of their noses...

5-90

5-90 said:
Yugh - I don't envy you!

It's not the line-animals I have issue with - y'all are the ones actually doing the work. It's the decision-makers up the chain with whom I have issues. They don't seem to think ahead, they certainly don't seem to plan ahead, and the rates keep going up! Probably the biggest issue I have with PG&E is that the rates keep climbing, there's no real end in sight, and I'm just not making any more money to make up for it (granted, it's not just PG&E's rates going up, but that's what we're talking about now. Don't get me started on the gasoline companies, rent increases, and other fun stuff - it just about all comes back to "everything goes up but the money I make," and "why are we paying more for less?")

Upper management, in just about any endeavour, should probably be the lowest-paid members of any outfit, unless and until they start actually thinking farther forward than the ends of their noses...

5-90

Thanks for the compliment...sort of :roflmao: , but I'm not a line-animal. I'm mid upper management myself. But yeah, electric rates are a whole separate thread in itself.

But in a nutshell, todays rates are a result of the failure in electric deregulation in California. You (rate payers) are still paying for the Enron, Mirant, Duke, etc fiasco. To put things in perspective, from 1991 until 1998, PG&E electric rates remained flat. Rates actually dropped in 1993, and remained flat until deregulation took effect in 1998. Name one other energy commodity that can claim that....

As mentioned, Deregulation went into effect in 1998 and was actually working quite well by bringing electric cost down further for the first couple of years. It was working much like the deregulated natural gas market of today works.

Now enter Enron and company, that found a way to "game" the system, created artificial "markets", and all hell broke loose. But because of the "price freeze" on energy during the 5 year deregulation transition period, PG&E had to purchase power on the open market for more than it could legally sell it. Yes, legally as spelled out in AB 1890 (Electric Deregulation Bill). At one point we were loosing a $1 million an hour, and after a $12 billion tailspin, bankruptcy was declared by PG&E. Edison was "this close" to declaring bankruptcy as well....

Todays rates are a result of that debacle, and we can expect to pay for it for at least the next 10 years or so. At least some settlements were reached with some of the generators, so that 10 year projection is less than what it could have been...

Last edited:
An old post isn't a cold post.
:D

Back