• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's about that time of year...

Jason you did fine last winter. You drove right past the tree that I slid into on that off camber section of cedar tree. And dont forget the day my cps died, you cruised out of a section of powerline in front of me then 3min later I pulled out and burried my rig. Don't worry about it buddy you got this. And now that I have new tires so will I.

Yeah thats true but I am taking about high speed wheeling threw the snow not slow speed. Right around 40 mph or so
In good powder you can get a decent wake going in front of you and flat cruise. We had some good snow at TSF last February. I was breaking trail on the FS roads, and was easily able to maintain 30. Much faster and the corners started becoming obstacles. FiveNDime following...
IMG_0055.jpg

Dustin looking at that pic makes me wonder if the Torx is gonna get a snow machine before its time for the hypo run.
It's been on my mind, trust me!

The good snow usually doesn't hit until Feb-Mar (or later) so I have a little bit of time. We'll see.

I figure worst case, I can pick up a dirt cheap XJ that runs. Hobart lock the rear, and toss my old Aussie in the front. Massage the fenders and try and stuff some 35's or 37's under it stock. Gut the interior, make it light as possible. I bet that thing would float. :D

Last edited:
So I just finished reading Off-Road Adventures they say nothing about horse power :( They Did say on 4 wheel drives chains should be installed on the back axle if you only have one set. :O I will quote this part " Lowering tire pressure makes your tire wider and longer thus giving your vehicle a bigger foot-print. A larger footprint means more tread contact with the snow or mud surfaces, resulting in better traction. Secondly larger tire will provide more floatation, similar to driving in the sand. Additionally, driving slow keeps tires from digging down into the snow. This is one thing snow and sand have in common" from the Jan 2011 issue. So I guess your right high horsepower is not needed.

The issue with trying to "read" or "explain" how to drive in the snow or what works best is that every type of snow or each snow run is different. What works best one day will not necessarily work well later in the same day.

first off most of the snow wheeling we do (at least up in the Washington area) and I suspect you Portland folks are similar) is deep snow wheeling. You will find that many people who talk about wheeling in the snow are talking about a few inches on the trail. That is not what we are talking about here (other than Dustin's last pic).

As a general rule you want as much flotation as possible (large tires, LOW air pressure less than 10psi usually, and low tire speed). However, I have seen gutted XJ's with large tires have great difficulty keeping up with other heavier smaller tired versions so these are only guidlines. Also, often soft AT's do better than harder MT's, all depends on the snow. I have seen the conditions change quickly (usually at sun rise and sun set) that can change the difficulty from no problem to impossible (this is why you don't want to be stuck too far from the trail head when it is getting later in the day).

I have always considered snow to be the best equilizer. You can have an all out buggy and a stocker open/open on the same trail and both enjoy yourself and cover much of the same area (conditions depending). Just make sure you go prepared and have plenty of warm clothes and extra food!!!!:lecture:

Michael

I totaly agree with what your saying another thing to remember is the diffrent types of snow, prpbably changes daily like your saying. The couple of times I went out last year the snow was very wet and heavy. I know that most of the snow I wheeled in the midwest was like powder, and maybe thats why I assumed more power was better. I have seen pictures in magazines of people hauling ass in the snow busting threw snow drifts with snow flying everwhere, obviously thats not what we are talking about here in Oregon and Washington.

Thanks for your imput :cheers:

The issue with trying to "read" or "explain" how to drive in the snow or what works best is that every type of snow or each snow run is different. What works best one day will not necessarily work well later in the same day.

first off most of the snow wheeling we do (at least up in the Washington area) and I suspect you Portland folks are similar) is deep snow wheeling. You will find that many people who talk about wheeling in the snow are talking about a few inches on the trail. That is not what we are talking about here (other than Dustin's last pic).

As a general rule you want as much flotation as possible (large tires, LOW air pressure less than 10psi usually, and low tire speed). However, I have seen gutted XJ's with large tires have great difficulty keeping up with other heavier smaller tired versions so these are only guidlines. Also, often soft AT's do better than harder MT's, all depends on the snow. I have seen the conditions change quickly (usually at sun rise and sun set) that can change the difficulty from no problem to impossible (this is why you don't want to be stuck too far from the trail head when it is getting later in the day).

I have always considered snow to be the best equilizer. You can have an all out buggy and a stocker open/open on the same trail and both enjoy yourself and cover much of the same area (conditions depending). Just make sure you go prepared and have plenty of warm clothes and extra food!!!!:lecture:

Michael

I have seen pictures in magazines of people hauling ass in the snow busting threw snow drifts with snow flying everwhere.

Don't get me wrong. We do that also! It sells more magazines, and is fun.

But it usually ends in being stuck and doesn't get you up the trail (which is what we are talking about here) ;)

Lets hope for a great year of snow and another Hypothermia run!!

Michael

Don't get me wrong. We do that also! It sells more magazines, and is fun.

But it usually ends in being stuck and doesn't get you up the trail (which is what we are talking about here) ;)

Lets hope for a great year of snow and another Hypothermia run!!

Michael

There will be a hypo run this year.. also I will be im the mountains in my customer as much as work allows

I havn't done much snow wheelin, but I have done alot of sanddunes when I was in California. Horsepower is not nessessary, unless you want to go fast or climb dunes. For slow speed you want mild tires and low pressure, easy on the throttle so you don't dig. I was able to go anywhere on the sand and not get stuck in my old V6 cherokee with an automatic once I learned the tricks. A more aggressive tire and lots of power are good for going fast or climbing as they act like paddles. My current Jeep with a 4.6l was a beast out there. I can imagine snow wheeling being the same, start slow to stay on top and then hammer it when you are moving to get through tough spots.

so my 33x10.5 are gonna be terrible this winter?

I need to wheel soon. Have not gone yet in WA.

Back