• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's 5.3/AW4 swap time for the road racer

Part of that is just the XJ engine bay and unibody rails. The LSx is pretty compact, but just not in the dimensions that help it fit in the Cherokee. I think if we swapped the truck intake for the Corvette or Camaro, it would be a little lower.

It is lower and it does clear the hood, but you need to deal with the accessories.
Here is mine.

DSCN4030.jpg

Can you get some sheet aluminum and make a bastard CAI drawn from the scoop?
We've cut out the headlight buckets and have vents coming in through the side of the engine bay, fed through our widebody front fenders. What would make sense is to insulate the filter down where the battery used to live, but I doubt we'll have time.

Behind the IPFs is totally open to the engine bay, and off to each side we cut vents in the leading faces of the fender extensions and aimed the air into the engine bay. You can sort of see it in this pic:

vents_zps1ddb09d0.jpg

^^ Full of win! ^^

Part of that is just the XJ engine bay and unibody rails. The LSx is pretty compact, but just not in the dimensions that help it fit in the Cherokee. I think if we swapped the truck intake for the Corvette or Camaro, it would be a little lower. Our solution:

IMG_0175_zps4568a19c.jpg

That's right, I forgot that these were originally designed for that 2.8l turd from the S-Trucks.

The LSx intake will definitely help with clearance.

Looks and sounds great! Can't wait to see how you guys do with some more ponies under the hood.

You guys running an oil cooler or anything? Can't remember if I read that anywhere. What do you run for oil?
We decided to run an oil cooler for this motor. In addition we tossed on the F-body oil pan which has a LOT of internal baffling. We're retaining the 2 qt Accusump that we added to the 4.0. We're running AmsOil 20/50 race oil from 4x4oil.com, in addition to their high end ATF. Trying to give the AW4 every chance; we're also trying out one of child9's custom valved throttle bodies which should help, too.
I don't think you know what LSx means.
Lol

So the initial impressions of the install and the stock trans living under the new power are good I guess? Just need to sort the engine issue...?

Donut videos?
Powerslides?
C'mon folks -
we need to see how this will work in an everyday driving sort of situation

Back