• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It was a Jeep...built in to a camper... I call it "The JEPER"

ARGH! hate reading through this only to be left at a cliffhanger moment. looking forward to more though, always cool to see some creativity.

Hey all, so i did just a little clean up work on the doors and what not. Then I had to get the shop cleaned... so i took it for a little spin...Im going camping this weekend and going to lift my JK. But next weekend it's going to be nice so I'm hoping to work o the somemore then. Thanks for the support guys! DH
Image03172011142056.jpg

Image03172011142044.jpg

Image03172011141631.jpg

Image03172011141559.jpg

What about going with a solid rear axle for some weight savings? Plus you could sell the rear end and help fund your project. As an alternative to that, here is a crazy idea. You could attach an alternator to that rear end and have it provide some power to keep a few batteries in your trailer charged for power accessories. Depending on the number of batteries you installed you could power all sorts of things (like a heater for a water tank, or a mini fridge). And you could use the batteries for ballast so you could easily move the batteries around to get the weight distribution you want.

I like the idea of an external water tank too, though I'd put it on the roof in case I wanted to rig up an outdoors shower and if you put a water tank on the roof it would be gravity fed so no need to install a pump.

I could go on, cause I know what I'd like to do, but I like your idea man. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

What about going with a solid rear axle for some weight savings? Plus you could sell the rear end and help fund your project. As an alternative to that, here is a crazy idea. You could attach an alternator to that rear end and have it provide some power to keep a few batteries in your trailer charged for power accessories. Depending on the number of batteries you installed you could power all sorts of things (like a heater for a water tank, or a mini fridge). And you could use the batteries for ballast so you could easily move the batteries around to get the weight distribution you want.

I like the idea of an external water tank too, though I'd put it on the roof in case I wanted to rig up an outdoors shower and if you put a water tank on the roof it would be gravity fed so no need to install a pump.

I could go on, cause I know what I'd like to do, but I like your idea man. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

With the weight of the extra batteries and extra drag from attaching an alternator to the wheel, you will use 10x more gas than if you just brought a generator and extra fuel. Also you'll use about half(or less) the trailer space.

With the weight of the extra batteries and extra drag from attaching an alternator to the wheel, you will use 10x more gas than if you just brought a generator and extra fuel. Also you'll use about half(or less) the trailer space.

Well the OP never said anything about being gas friendly and you could definitely make a tray beneath the trailer to house the batteries. AFAIK he isn't planning on going crawling with it attached so there is room for ground clearance with a battery tray beneath. And who says it has to be lead acid batteries? There a NiMH and other battery technologies that are much less weight intensive. Plus, I was just tossing out an idea, so maybe take it as brainstorming and not so much as something for you to torpedo just cause it seems impractical to you?

Last edited:
Lol.... all very good ideas!!!!!

I'm not going "rock crawling" with it, but I will/want to go down any "road" i want.

I'm going to put a solid axle in when it's closer to being done. A was putting the water tank underthe back to help with weight and also to keep the CG low. I have a 12 pump that will hold about 30psi. And as for the shower.... I have a portable Sun shower. LOL you guys all have great ideas.... I like the alternator/Batter setup....

As for an update....I worked on the floor and the front sides. I also started to layout the back a little. It's slow going right now. But once the weather gets nice i'll really start movining on it. Today it is high of 41 with rain and snow in the morning!!!! YA SPRING AND GLOBLE WARMING!!!!:skull2:

Oh and I've been working on my tow rig...
Image04072011180708.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking tow rig. 8)
Im still dying to see the outcome bro...
Also still toying with the idea of scrapping my 2dr body or donating her to ya to make me a 2 dr jeeper. :thumbup:

Look forward to seeing more.
~Paul

Sorry guys. things have been craxy around here. I had to get the boys room painted and start getting bike ready for the riding season. I'll try and hope to work on it some more this weekend. If i do i'll post up for sure. Thanks DH

You need to get your priorites straight man! LOL

Just kidding.

UPDATE?

Whats up buddy??
been awhile and just wanted to see if you had any updates for us???
Im very very intrigued and soooo badly want to see how she turns out. 8)
Be good n happy trails~Paul

Considering that DownhomeMoto hasn't logged in since May...... I'm guessing he's moved on and updates won't be coming....... (n)

Boooooooo...... maybe if we keep blowing up his thread asking for updates hell get tired of getting the emails saying we've responded to his thread and come back on n give us some updates.... lmao.

Well its sad that there haven't been any updates for a while but I tell ya this has got my head a buzzin' for a camp trailer to pull behind the buzzin' half-dozen.
my ideas for my old Cherokee body is to either use the stock tank that's in it or buy a new tank and use the stock pump to pump the water to the sink and possibly a shower head up top. As for the alternator idea, I like that as long as you could find one small enough you could mount it inside the differential of the axle. You just have to find a way to keep the axleshafts in and the bearings greased. And it wouldn't be but a parasitic loss on horsepower over all. But then again you could build a bracket to mount it to the top side of the axle and outfit a pulley to the pinion with a short v belt. Batteries to run the pump and lights would not need to be but one or maybe two of the marine style batteries. Further helping to reduce the amount of tongue weight. How ever an easier way to do that would b to add a battery isolator under the hood and run some really heavy gauge wire to the trailer from the jeeps charging system. Just a thought.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Back