• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this bad?

ya here you go
IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

Something is backwards there. The wedges should point the axle up not down.

Are the wedges attached to the springs or are they loose?

Looks shimmed correctly to me... Horrible pics zoom out a little so we can get a better Idea lol

Looks shimmed correctly to me... Horrible pics zoom out a little so we can get a better Idea lol

Your right they are correct. I guess I just had a "moment." It still looks like it points too far down though.

sorry i had to take quick pics due to me hbeing late for work. i will take better ones later, but they are attached to the leaf, came like that. i believe there right.

Something is backwards there. The wedges should point the axle up not down.
Never assume which way the shims should be installed.always a good idea to use a angle finder and be sure. if he was running say a 1.5" lift shackle he would probably need to shim pinion down. a longer shackle tends to point the pinion up more. my 3 " lift pulled the D/S out about that much, as long as his angles are correct i see no problem at all. a YJ slip yoke will help both with length and binding when axle is drooping.again shims can go either way depending on pinion angle!

If you decide on a TC drop... its an XJ! It doesn't need anything fancy, just get some longer bolts and stack a few thick washers.

If you decide on a TC drop... its an XJ! It doesn't need anything fancy, just get some longer bolts and stack a few thick washers.

haha ok, i might go with these ones from quadratec its a 1" drop for like 30 bucks, so am probably going to do that, i have to bleed brakes and drive it and figure out if i feel any vibs(probably will with the drive shaft pulled out) i showed the pic to some of my technicians at work some say i need a t-case drop another guy who has been working on cars for 30+ years doesnt think i need to he says 1-1/2" pulled out isnt much, but to be safe i think i will just get that drop. i appreciate all the help and advice, you guys came in handy last couple days, ill post more pics once i get that t-case drop in,

haha ok, i might go with these ones from quadratec its a 1" drop for like 30 bucks, so am probably going to do that, i have to bleed brakes and drive it and figure out if i feel any vibs(probably will with the drive shaft pulled out) i showed the pic to some of my technicians at work some say i need a t-case drop another guy who has been working on cars for 30+ years doesnt think i need to he says 1-1/2" pulled out isnt much, but to be safe i think i will just get that drop. i appreciate all the help and advice, you guys came in handy last couple days, ill post more pics once i get that t-case drop in,

You can't judge good advice by how long someone has been working on cars. I recently had to fire a guy that worked on cars for longer than that. He was worse than most that I have worked with even when it came to assembling a small block chevy or older 460 ford! I am not saying that the longer you work on cars the worse you get, simply that you someone can have a very long career and still do a crappy job or give crappy advice. Hopefully that guy is better and has stayed motivated to learn.

He just wants you to come back to the shop when you toss a drive shaft. :)

haha no he is a good guy he loves his job and he is always wanting to teach people anything and everything he knows. he always goes and learns as much as he can(idk where he does it.) but cool guy, i trust him but i trust you guys more due to you all having or had lifted xjs, or some kind of jeep you guys know what your talking about.

That will work, but for about $10 you could head to ace and get the same thing four bolts and four spacers. If you need help and chose to go this way and are unsure of anything send me a pm and im in westminister so i can come help...

You can do the TC drop for cheap, like time2getdirty stated, use some spacers/stack washers/big nuts, ect.

the YJ SY will give you an extra 5/8" length, and has deeper areas between the ears to prevent binding, find one cheap at your local JY. Or RE sell this: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/JeepParts/Product.aspx?part=RE1822

A DS from a different XJ can give you the extra length you need, between using the search function and actually measuring some of the shafts I've had, here are some of the DS lengths:

98 4WD AW4 W/8.25= 27 7/8"
97+ 4WD AW4 W/D-35= 28 7/8"
88 4WD AW4 W/D-35= around 30-31"

there are a ton of different DS from different models (4WD,2WD,AW4,AX-15, D-35, 8.25, XJ,MJ, ect.ect.) Do some searching and hit the JY's and measure to find what you need, It'll be a lot cheaper than having a custom DS made or getting yours lengthened/shorten.

I have a simmular issue with my wifes heep, we swapped the D-35 out of her 88 for a 8.25 from a 98, her SY looks like yours, barely in there. I would like to push it in another 1-2", so between the YJ SY and a DS from a 97+ D-35 I'll be right where I want to be. I have had several people tell me that it is fine, but I'm not comfortable having my wife and kids in there on the hwy or trails if that DS drops out.

Also check out the Auto Parts section of Craigslist for people who are parting out, there are a few that have many Xj's, all years and models, ask them to measure their DS.

Last edited:
That will work, but for about $10 you could head to ace and get the same thing four bolts and four spacers. If you need help and chose to go this way and are unsure of anything send me a pm and im in westminister so i can come help...

pmed you for the parts and everything, was thinking about doing it today, let me know i might need help let me know what stuff i need for it.

Back